Brand new to self build

Nick Clarke

Hello, me and my husband are hoping to self build one day, we’ve been to all the self build shows and looked at land, and timber frame houses, and with planning laws proposing to be relaxed I jumped on here to see if anyone has any insight into this new development in planning law...

as two self employed people we have always found it impossible to get a mortgage, so we are still renting in our fifties, a sign of the times I fear. 
I hope to meet and interact with people on here and hear their experiences and any tips, so hello everyone! 

Hi and welcome.

Where abouts are you? that will have a big impact on plot availablility.

I doubt the recent relaxations in planning law will help self build plots, that is more about streamlining applications on large developments on land already zoned for housing development.

not wanting to put a damper on your aspirations --but if you cannot get a mortage -how you going to fund it 

how much cash do you have ,  once plot is paid for  ?

enough to get a TF wind and water tight in one go 

as @ProDave says where you pick to build will make a huge difference to funds  needed.

sounds like it will be  buying caravan  and living on site --that way you save the rental of your present house 

then build as money is available.

that will limit your choices of construction ,as SIPS and TF cannot be left for months unfinished ,or the wood will rot

nothing wrong in that -you can build it just as well insulated with blocks or ICF 

-just it allows you to stop and  start -if you have too 

presuming you do really mean a  real self build 

Edited by scottishjohn

1 hour ago, Nick Clarke said:

Hello, me and my husband are hoping to self build one day, we’ve been to all the self build shows and looked at land, and timber frame houses, and with planning laws proposing to be relaxed I jumped on here to see if anyone has any insight into this new development in planning law...

Unfortunately I have a feeling the changes won't help self builders much. 

As I understand it the council will have to decide which areas are suitable for development and in those areas they won't have as much say about what gets built. My suspicion is that they will designate large sites such as disused airfields or large greenfield areas alongside main roads rather than smaller areas more suited to self builders. I might be wrong but that's what has been happening in my area for some time. There is an area earmarked  for housing development that has largely been brought up by the big developers, leaving self builders to fight over plots in villages outside this area that are subject to ever tighter restrictions.

I have to agree with all of the above, We are also new to self build and presently looking for a plot. My girlfriend saw the news regarding planning changes and asked me the same question.

Sadly it appears it will just take some red tape out of larger developments and do nothing to help self or small builders.

Self employment shouldn't be a problem unless you are not showing any real regular income.

I have pretty much been self employed since i was 20 (now 55). Last 28 years a director and 50% share holder and im still classed as self employed when it comes to mortgages and loans etc.

Dont give up ... if someone has the passion and determination to do something, ways open up for them.

Edited by markc
  • Like 1