Parking fee for electric connection - have a guess!

Mr Punter

I have just got a quote for a new leccy connection.  3 new flats, so 3 phase into a kiosk (supplied and fitted by us).  They are also disconnecting the existing supply.  All the cables are in the footpath, 3 metres away from the new kiosk.  This is in Brighton suburbs.  No road works or traffic lights needed.  All on a quiet footpath.

Because they can, I think they allow 1 visit to excavate joint bay and lay out barriers, 1 visit to disconnect existing and joint new and 1 visit to reinstate and remove barriers.  Could all be done in a day without breaking sweat.

The price?

£3,094 to do the work, which I think could be done for a quarter of this but they have the monopoly and want to make a profit.

The parking costs?

I would welcome your guesses as to the amount they want to cover parking and I will let you know the quoted amount tomorrow (Tuesday 4 August 2020), with a special prize of a LIKE to whoever gets closest!

19 minutes ago, SuperJohnG said:

If I got a connection for £3094... I'd happily pay the parking for everyone involved. 

I'll guess 123.40 

For a connection of 3m?  I cannot think that many Scots would agree with you!

• Haha 1

Parking in Brighton is a nightmare and extremely expensive. So I’m going to say they’d need 3 parking bays booked out for an entire day. And then add a nice council ‘fee’ on top. And then an admin fee. Then a notification fee. 
All-in......I reckon £1800. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

I have just got a quote for a new leccy connection.  3 new flats, so 3 phase into a kiosk (supplied and fitted by us).  They are also disconnecting the existing supply.  All the cables are in the footpath, 3 metres away from the new kiosk.  This is in Brighton suburbs.  No road works or traffic lights needed.  All on a quiet footpath.

Because they can, I think they allow 1 visit to excavate joint bay and lay out barriers, 1 visit to disconnect existing and joint new and 1 visit to reinstate and remove barriers.  Could all be done in a day without breaking sweat.

The price?

£3,094 to do the work, which I think could be done for a quarter of this but they have the monopoly and want to make a profit.

The parking costs?

I would welcome your guesses as to the amount they want to cover parking and I will let you know the quoted amount tomorrow (Tuesday 4 August 2020), with a special prize of a LIKE to whoever gets closest!

When I did an at exhibition in a small gallery in Nottingham a bit over a decade ago, it cost more to park the car for some time each day than it did to hire the gallery.

So  .. Brighton. Parking and a bit of digging.

£400-500 ?

• Sad 1

Ok - so if the wisdom of crowds holds then, given the guesses to this point, we have an average of: £557.18, without factoring in the parking fines idea - that feels high. 

Assuming a fine of £35 (worst case for Brighton & Hove higher, see below) if you pay early and Mr P is not toying with us by giving us the clue that if you paid early it would be cheaper to pay the fines - and, by extension that it would be more expensive to pay the full fine, then the range, per bay, is between £75 (3 days lower rate) and £210 (3 days full fine higher.)

However we have no idea how many vehicles will need parking although we have a variety of guesses at that above.

So if three days / 3 bays then worst case £630 and best case £225 so after careful consideration and trying to get a best estimate I think I will go for £400!

Parking fines from Bright & Hove web site.

Level of charge Amount of charge Discount charge if paid within 14 days from the date of the issuing of the notice
Higher £70 £35
Lower £50 £25
Bus lane £60 £30

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

OK a bit late for the update, but they are asking for £1,200 for parking.

Amazingly @Thorfun was closest and also overestimated by £600.

Trophy symbol for him, sad face for the rest of you.

WTAF..??!!!!

What are they parking and for how long ..???!!!

11 minutes ago, PeterW said:

WTAF..??!!!!

What are they parking and for how long ..???!!!

I am not really sure at the moment.  They have replied to my query regarding scheduling to say

"In regards to your questions of the works, we would do the digging on the first day, then the second day we would disconnect your single phase supply and then install your new three supply, then reinstate on the third day, which can take up to 5 working days, depending on the surface, to allow it to set."

They are just doing a joint bay in the footpath adjacent to where we have excavated 600mm deep.  We will have duct running to the edge of the joint bay into our kiosk.  This could be done in a day.  I cannot believe how far they are prepared to take the p*ss just because they have a near monopoly.  I think the LA cost of a bay for a utility is £60, so they seem to have allowed for six vehicles.

I shall be writing back.

I think I might offer to pick the guys up from their houses and take them to site.  Maybe pleasure them during their breaks (to the extent that distancing rules allow), take them to the pub after work, buy all the drinks, drop them back home and tuck them into bed.

Still cheaper and (perhaps) less humiliating than £1,200.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

OK a bit late for the update, but they are asking for £1,200 for parking.

Amazingly @Thorfun was closest and also overestimated by £600.

Trophy symbol for him, sad face for the rest of you.

yay for me! but boo for you. I knew it had to be a ridiculous amount. I recall the UKPN guy came to my house and we discussed the costs for our road closure for the work (single lane road) and mentioned about the astronomical costs in Brighton. so, I'm really not surprised.

22 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

I think I might offer to pick the guys up from their houses and take them to site.  Maybe pleasure them during their breaks (to the extent that distancing rules allow), take them to the pub after work, buy all the drinks, drop them back home and tuck them into bed.

Still cheaper and (perhaps) less humiliating than £1,200.

You're lucky that the place has only just fallen to the Greens.

You've avoided the bylaw imposing a fixed penalty notice for being caught in possession of a bacon butty.

Edited by Ferdinand