Shower fixing and testing

Pocster

2 minutes ago, pocster said:

Put water through on the cold feed only . Lots of knocking - assume air in pipe ?

Have a leak on one of the brass fittings - so will fix that first .

Does the mixer need hot and cold simultaneously ? I.e prevent the knocking ? . I have no hot available but could stick cold on the hot feed ...

I have a feeling that the more "right angle" bends you have and less sweeping curves, the more knocking you are prone to.

You need to flush it through take off the capped ends and run it for a while, don’t cap them first or your just testing if it’s air proof. 

I think you should change that pipe work it looks proper shit (sorry) 

dont rush and bodge at the last leg. 

If the shower head head is too low stick one on the ceiling. 

C,mon lad do it right. 

3 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

You need to flush it through take off the capped ends and run it for a while, don’t cap them first or your just testing if it’s air proof. 

C,mon lad do it right. 

You mean the nasty 2 90 tees ?

Can’t see another way of doing it . Runs too short . Pipe not flexible enough 

24 minutes ago, Onoff said:

I have a feeling that the more "right angle" bends you have and less sweeping curves, the more knocking you are prone to.

It’s all curves up until the mixer as it’s a single run per feed with no joints . 

27 minutes ago, PeterW said:

That last pipework to the outlet is a bit crap and will cause air to get trapped. You can get a straight Hep2O to BSP connector, then use a couple of elbows downward. 

Sorry you’ve lost me . The fitting on the mixer is bsp to hep20 

Decided therefore to test the shower head .

Indeed opening the manifold did seem to alleviate the knocking .

One thing I noticed is that with the shower set to fully off a small trickle still runs through the shower head . Can’t see any obvious adjustment for this ...

16 minutes ago, pocster said:

Decided therefore to test the shower head .

Indeed opening the manifold did seem to alleviate the knocking .

One thing I noticed is that with the shower set to fully off a small trickle still runs through the shower head . Can’t see any obvious adjustment for this ...

Sure that is not just the shower head draining down?  They have an annoying habit of dripping for a long time, or start dripping in the middle of the night hours after last use.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Sure that is not just the shower head draining down?  They have an annoying habit of dripping for a long time, or start dripping in the middle of the night hours after last use.

The fun of a rainfall head. Though I wanted it I rarely use it tbh. Nothing against it and it looks great. If my lad has a shower he uses it all the time. Means when I go in and use the handset straight after I get the occasional nice cold drip from the water in the rainfall head. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Possibly . Did seem to go on a bit . I swore at it ; still dripped 

I forgot how much brass fittings like to leak . Each fitting should come with its own roll of ptf tape .

Maybe in the distant future all mixers / taps etc. are hep20 ready ... ?

Edited by pocster

Just now, pocster said:

I forgot how much brass fittings like to leak . Each fitting should come with its own roll of ptf tape .

Maybe in the distance future all mixers / taps etc. are hep20 ready ... ?

Not enough turns of tape then, simples. I was amazed when @Nickfromwales said to put 25 odd turns on a bib tap back plate. Works like a dream.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

C,mon lad do it right. 

@Nickfromwales told me to do it like that ???

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Page 28:

Well I clicked ‘next’ 28 times on your life story thread . Erm , not sure what I’m meant to be looking at . Brought back a nostalgic tear to my eye , the good old days before CV and brexit . When life was simpler and grout lines were uneven .

Edited by pocster
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, pocster said:

Maybe in the distant future all mixers / taps etc. are hep20 ready ... ?

Shouldn't need that much unless it’s a poor quality brass fitting ..?? If you’re desperate you could always make them off with a smear of LSX too. 

Have you used a stem elbow into the shower fitting then once you’ve converted it to a Hep2O socket ..??  

6 minutes ago, pocster said:

Trays not in . But roughly height from floor to shower head is 190cm . I’m 6ft 1” so seems low too me . I can reposition it a bit further up - gain maybe 70mm 

That too low ??

E254530A-D30C-4C97-8182-5BD63B742A9D.jpeg

Googled it and suggestion was 183 to 203cm 

Might push it up that extra 70mm ..