40mm Gap between blockwork

19 minutes ago, Bri44 said:

In an expansion gap, how far is the distance between wall ties?

In mine if you look at this image, at the bottom is a ruler where there is a flat wall tie. Then there is no more ties to the top elevation, 5foot in legth.

Slip ties should be every other block course although NHBC say 300mm which can be a challenge with blocks unless there are ties between the courses to the back wall. 

http://www.nhbc.co.uk/Builders/ProductsandServices/TechZone/NHBCStandards/TechnicalGuidanceDocuments/61/filedownload,65367,en.pdf

I feel so sorry for you having to go through this, I have personally never seen anything quite as bad! While I was reading through my reaction on it all was knock down and rebuild properly. There will be even more that is wrong that you can't see which will all get covered up again through the fixes. I have no idea if this is a possibility or not, i suspect they will really push against it, but I don't see any way of sorting it properly without doing so.

• Like 1

We've got an ex-showhome and having ripped a lot of it apart to extend it have actually found it to be really well built. I always assumed from this it's because obviously it will be on display and under scrutiny - perhaps used for BC inspection (do they inspect them all?) - and so warranted some attention to detail. 

Well my house is not built well. Technical guy was supposed to be here at 5pm today, no show, no phone call, no email to cancel. 

I agree there will be more faults, especially as it has no render now, open to the elements, cracks, holes, loose lead works etc all happily letting water in.

Judging by the finish inside and outside I think it might have been a project build for apprentices.

A couple of inside jobs that were hidden by furniture and the wire/hole is the top of the fridge, out of sight etc. There are many more. 

7.JPG

8.JPG

9.JPG

10 hours ago, MikeGrahamT21 said:

I feel so sorry for you having to go through this, I have personally never seen anything quite as bad! While I was reading through my reaction on it all was knock down and rebuild properly. There will be even more that is wrong that you can't see which will all get covered up again through the fixes. I have no idea if this is a possibility or not, i suspect they will really push against it, but I don't see any way of sorting it properly without doing so.

Looking at the gable end it`s about to fall down anyway.

It has been problem after problem since moving in. Our first day in, the roof leaked after we had been living there for 20 minutes. Second day, boiler leaked and broke down. No heat for over a week.  But... they`re sorry for the inconvenience. 

I`ll have to stop posting pictures as there are just too many issues.

lots of rooms the plaster boards and ceilings are cracking because of the vibration from render removal.

13.JPG

14.JPG

Tortuous times for BRI44.

As a general comment Bri has gathered plenty evidence and working though the dispute process which is incredibly frustrating.

I do think that BRI has a good chance of success as a lot of the evidence is overwhelming. At some point the builder will probably wake up, count their beans and come to the table with a view to mitigating their losses... which will likely be more than if they had engaged( meaningfully) earlier. If they don't it will probably get worse for them.

It looks like there could be some structural safety issues here. If say the HSE were to get involved then the developer may have to answer to them also, and that is not cheep in terms of loss of reputation, just for example. Having the HSE take an investigative interest in your business / or you personally is an experience to be avoided.

Food for thought if you were the developer that built BRi's house.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gus Potter said:

Tortuous times for BRI44.

As a general comment Bri has gathered plenty evidence and working though the dispute process which is incredibly frustrating.

I do think that BRI has a good chance of success as a lot of the evidence is overwhelming. At some point the builder will probably wake up, count their beans and come to the table with a view to mitigating their losses... which will likely be more than if they had engaged( meaningfully) earlier. If they don't it will probably get worse for them.

It looks like there could be some structural safety issues here. If say the HSE were to get involved then the developer may have to answer to them also, and that is not cheep in terms of loss of reputation, just for example. Having the HSE take an investigative interest in your business / or you personally is an experience to be avoided.

Food for thought if you were the developer that built BRi's house.

I`ve warned my neighbour I`m seriously concerned for their safety with my gable end being held together by one wall tie that`s not even fitted correctly. 

I have made progress with the LABC. They are sending out their surveyor again on the 4 November.  Day before Guy Fawkes. Maybe he will blow my house up or down. 

4 hours ago, MikeGrahamT21 said:

What have other peoples experiences been on your estate?

Before I purchased this house I since found out everyone with my type of roof have had issues. One house had his repaired 3 times. All this before I moved in so i would guess they knew there were problems with the design. Plus my ceilings have the tell tale signs of leak repairs. I have noticed cracks in other rendered houses, some withrender that has blown off. DPC levels on many are wrong. 2 exact same 2 storey brick houses along the street, one has expansion joint running up both sides of the house, in the middle of gable from ground to the roof, the other has none.  Did they forget to put them in? ?

39 minutes ago, Bri44 said:

Before I purchased this house I since found out everyone with my type of roof have had issues. One house had his repaired 3 times. All this before I moved in so i would guess they knew there were problems with the design. Plus my ceilings have the tell tale signs of leak repairs. I have noticed cracks in other rendered houses, some withrender that has blown off. DPC levels on many are wrong. 2 exact same 2 storey brick houses along the street, one has expansion joint running up both sides of the house, in the middle of gable from ground to the roof, the other has none.  Did they forget to put them in? ?

Perhaps get together with some/all neighbours and force action en-masse against the builder, some sort of group litigation?? It won't be free of course, but you could all share the costs, if the problems are essentially the same?

The Davild Wison block of flats that is about 18 months old on my estate has had scaffold just gone up. It is a rendered property with the same roof as mine designed by the same architect company who won an award for our development. I think they are in for some bad luck.

Should this stone ledge have a DPC installed? It is first floor level.

It looks like a cavity tray but runs the whole length of this stone ledge and across the back of the house that has no ledge.

It is attached to the inner wall, crosses the cavity, drops down and sits under the outer block.

stone ledge.jpg