HSE F10 - WTF! :(

Vijay

Evening,

I'm trying to get my head around this by reading posts on here and I'm totally and utterly confused. Do I actually require it as UI read this on a post "You should only notify HSE if the work is scheduled to last longer than 30 working days and have more than 20 workers working simultaneously at any point on the project (OR is scheduled to exceed 500 person days of construction work). Any day on which construction work is carried out (including holidays and weekends) should be counted, even if the work on that day is of a short duration"????

If I do need it, is there an actual check list of requirements? I plan on managing my build and employing trades as I need/can afford them.

From posts I have a few things listed:

Insurance (including employers liability?)

Toilets

Hand washing

Drinking water

First aid including eye wash

Personal protection equipment - Hi viz jackets, hard hats, eye and ear protection

Fire extinguishers

Paperwork for trades to sign which shows that I have explained any H&S required, contact details and insurance cover.

Any help with this would be massively appreciated as I am at a complete loss with it.

Vijay

Hi

Given the size of your project I can pretty much guarantee you will exceed F10 limits - 500 days is 2 man years. 

That list you have is pretty accurate although CDM2014 needs a lot more admin including Principal Designer and Principal Contractor - the latter you "could" do yourself, the former you need to engage your architect and be ready for either the bill or them declining the request. 

Basically you become responsible for the H&S of the whole build - start with the CITB CDM website for more info 

+1 to @Sensus thoughts above. It does not have to be the architect but as I understand it you will have to show that the responsibility is real so keep some separation between this role and the client, perhaps appoint your partner as the client. Again as I understand it It must be clear that the pre construction phase H&S is to the fore and won't be compromised by client demands such as speed, risk, cost etc and any risks in the register are passed through to the construction phase or removed from / in the design. 

Here is where I got my thinking from. https://www.designingbuildings.co.uk/wiki/CDM_2015_principal_designer_duties

Edited by MikeSharp01
Added Ice link

23 hours ago, Sensus said:

The reason for having Principal Designer is to manage the H&S risks during the design phase of the work, and ensure that relevant information is carried forward to the construction phase.

Edited to add: it's probably worth mentioning that the F10 is just a notification, no more, no less. Even if your project is small enough not to require an F10, you still have to comply with all the other requirements, and you still have a Principal Designer and Principle Contractor.

So what is the actual role of the principal designer with H&S? I've employed an architect to design a house and then another to do working drawings, I'm really confused why HSE still want them involved after that

58 minutes ago, Sensus said:

Basically, to manage, coordinate, and collate H&S information at the design stage (pulling it together from the various 'Designers'), then to ensure it is passed to the Principal Contractor for the construction phase of works.

Note that the definition of 'Designer' (as opposed to Principal Designer) is quite broad... it can be anyone who contributes to or influences the design, from Architect and Structural Engineer, to scaffolding contractor or window supplier, so you can be drawing together information from lots of sources. Also note that the 'Principal Designer' and 'Principal Contractor' titles are misleading... they're purely H&S related roles, and are not necessarily the 'lead' designer (usually the Architect) or Main Contractor.

The HSE website gives good basic summaries of the various roles.

If you don't understand the requirements as set out on the HSE's website, or aren't sure what you'd need to do to comply with them, then it's probably time to bring in a professional... one of the core requirements for each and every role is that the person undertaking it must have 'sufficient knowledge, experience and ability' to carry it out so, to put it bluntly, it's pretty much a case of 'if you need to ask the question, you're not fit to do the job'.

I genuinely appreciate your thoughts but I believe it trying to understand as much as I can and asking question in order to understand.

You can apply your blunt comment to pretty much everything in life until you learn :)

I know I'll get shot for saying this but being a 70's child I think H&S has gone a little crazy. I'm a firm believer in common sense goes a long way and if people haven't got that, then H&S is way over their heads anyway.

Please believe me when I say I would never want or expect anyone to do anything unsafe just so I can have my house. Trades on my site will be a minimum as I plan to do a lot of the work myself.

1 hour ago, Vijay said:

I know I'll get shot for saying this but being a 70's child I think H&S has gone a little crazy. I'm a firm believer in common sense goes a long way and if people haven't got that, then H&S is way over their heads anyway.

The problem is that the zeitgeist - and more importantly the legislation - isn't interested in your beliefs about common sense.  If you properly fulfil your obligations, then some numpty doing something stupid when your back's turned is far less likely to result in you being sued, or worse.  

In all of my site inductions we've been reminded that "we're each responsible for our own safety". 

When you invite others you then become responsible for them. 

Basically it's a minefield. 

Oh, and let's not forget the ones who'll injure themselves whilst doing something wrong and then adjust the circumstances, whilst your backs turned, and push the fault, and subsequent liability, onto you. ;) 

For the benefit of our female readers I won't repeat the word I use to describe those bottom feeders.  >:(

2 hours ago, Sensus said:

I wouldn't want to be the one who had to sit there and admit that I was Client and had appointed myself Principal Designer and Principal Contractor, but that no, I had no formal qualifications, no previous experience, and was just working on the basis of advice given on an internet forum...

The thing is, as a self builder, you are the client, you play a significant part in the design, you select the principle contractor(s) and have some responsibility for health and safety (risk assessment, job safety analysis, work methods etc).

41 minutes ago, Triassic said:

The thing is, as a self builder, you are the client, you play a significant part in the design, you select the principle contractor(s) and have some responsibility for health and safety (risk assessment, job safety analysis, work methods etc).

I think the key difference is that in this case you also create a commercial and contractual relationship between client and the trades which provides for some reasonable protection and expectation of devolved responsibility. 

Can I ask a "variation" on this subject.

What if you are a self builder. You have had a contractor in to build and erect a timber frame for you. They have finished and gone (without any accidents) The house is finished outside. You are now working 100% on your own to finish the inside of the house and not intending to employ any other trades. You have a self build insurance policy in place.

How does the situation change?

4 hours ago, Sensus said:

@ProDave

But I wouldn't take my word for it - I'd ask the HSE for their view, directly (though you might want to pitch it as a leading question, to make sure you get the right answer ;)).

Good luck with that, my experience of asking HSE a question about being a self builder was they replied saying 'everything was on their website'.

Edited by readiescards
Spelling

41 minutes ago, vfrdave said:

Not sure if this is of any help or only acts to confuse further :-

https://www.citb.co.uk/documents/cdm regs/cdm 2015 - qa 3 self build projects.pdf

Interesting document. but I take issue with paragraph 4. If I appointed someone to build and erect the frame, I am NOT "taking control of construction work" the builder is doing that and I am just letting him get on and do his job.

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

Interesting document. but I take issue with paragraph 4. If I appointed someone to build and erect the frame, I am NOT "taking control of construction work" the builder is doing that and I am just letting him get on and do his job.

Still leaves some grey areas but sheds more light on the issue with specific separation on the adoption of CDM for commercial building and that of a self-builder like most of us here.  I am still confused a little and concerned enough to consult further with some personal contacts in NHBC that I have who have and do deal with H&S.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sensus said:

Well, just to confuse further, I've had expert opinion (from one of the key people who was involved in writing the Regs) that suggests that self-build clients are not domestic clients, as under law (Planning law, etc.) a house doesn't become a house until it is occupied.... and in any case you can't guarantee that it is a self-build for self-occupation untol it is likewise finished and occupied. Every small builder in the country could try to pull that one...

In any case, whilst it would change the 'Client' responsibilities, the PD and PC responsibilities remain identical, regardless.

I can't see how a self-builder is not a self builder if they have submitted a domestic planning application in their name and take out a self-build mortgage in order to construct said domestic property and need a contractor to carry out construction.  Every small builder in the country wouldn't in the case you reference be appointing a contractor and assigning them as the PC, like me as a self builder.

Just an update. Spoke to HSE today and they confirmed what my architectural technician told me, that I do not need a PD as my house was already designed and approved. They told me to just put my name as the PD on the form.

• Like 1