HSE F10 - WTF! :(

Vijay

2 hours ago, recoveringacademic said:

And here's the briefest, definitive, well-written guidance I've found which explains the issue in relation to self-builders

cdm 2015 - qa 3 self build projects.pdf

Yes I found it quite good and insightful and concluded that unless you are doing a true self build ie PM and employing all trades individually yourself, then there is little to be concerned about with CDM.

In my case, as I see it, my PD is my architect in conjunction with the SE who have devised the technical design drawings which should after revisions submitted today be approved very soon by building control.  I will then employ a single contractor (PC) who will manage the build on my behalf and appoint all trades necessary to complete the build.

This could of course be the first time I have been wrong ?

• Like 1

Morning everyone,

Thanks to all the contributions on this topic and related HSE / PD topics which for myself, as a complete novice, were a good eye opener.

After reading the various threads at the end of last year I took the plunge and signed up for an HSE course with a company local to myself but who work nationwide. My project is for 3 houses for resale and will go over the 500 man hours will be notifiable. I will be client and later in the construction phase PC for the project,.

I have a strong background in HSE from my career in oil and gas but nothing specific to house building and for myself the introduction course which I took last week  over 2 days was excellent, both in terms of the HSE risks but also the various legal obligations. For my part the cost of the training was very reasonable and they have an optional annual fee (again I felt it was very reasonable especially spread over the cost of 3 houses) which I have also signed up for. For that I have a full HSE package including all HSE documentation and they will walk me through my (and other contractors) Phase Plan and all the other elements of HSE as well as providing (at a fair cost) regular site visits should I feel them necessary - I'm sure I will.

Having undertaken the course I would very much recommend this or similar to any novice builder especially if they will have a notifiable project though I would recommend the HSE sections for everyone. First aid training next at the end of the month.

I would happily recommend the company if it is of interest or permitted (guidance sought here from one of the site admins please).

David

On 28/12/2016 at 20:14, Sensus said:

Short answer is that you either have to appoint someone else, or undertake the role yourself.

There are companies out there who will undertake the PD role for you (and subsequently the PC role, if you wish) for a relatively modest sum. One of the rules is that the Principal Designer must be someone who has 'meaningful responsibility and authority over the pre-construction phase'. I know some people who interpret this to mean that they need to be a key member of the actual design team, but I do NOT share this interpretation: my view is that you can assign meaningful responsibility and authority by means of appointing someone to the role.

The reason for having Principal Designer is to manage the H&S risks during the design phase of the work, and ensure that relevant information is carried forward to the construction phase.

Sensus hi,

Do you have companies you could recommend to me? I have just undertaken an introductory HSE course and I do feel that for my project I need to appoint one.

Thanks