Advice required please new tiles with old

I’m near the end of an extension project and the tilers came in yesterday. They should be coming back Monday to finish eg to fix the loose ridge tiles in the pics below and do the mortaring in at the fascia.

But what have they done in the first picture? They have cut the left side of the tile and butted up against the existing tiles, where I would expect them to be interlocked or under the existing tiles. The other side of the roof is fine where the tiles are laid over the existing tiles. Yes they sit a bit high but will do their job and gradually weather and darken over time.

The tiles were hard to source and are not exact matches, but pretty close. We had to wait about 6 weeks for delivery due to the existing problems with the pandemic but I do feel a bit frustrated as I don’t understand why the tiles are laid like this and nothing was said on the day.

Can anyone throw any light on this for me before I catch up with the tilers tomorrow?

Many thanks in anticipation.DEAF6C9F-53E0-472E-9BBA-81B03CFF240A.thumb.jpeg.631eb7f4320dbb935276aa176e917963.jpeg565A9DB4-1265-4E80-AB85-905B231AB6E1.thumb.jpeg.c3eef98d9273ca98b79d47b0ebab98bd.jpeg

I’m sure someone who knows more about this than me will be along shortly but all I can comment is; when we built our first house it was done with scotcem tiles , 14 years and never a broken tile, we sold up and built next door and the people who bought from us put a trampoline in the garden for the grandkids, big wind, trampoline hit the roof and broke several tiles, scotcem are no longer in business so they had to get the nearest thing which wouldn’t interlock with the originals and this is what theirs looked like, so I’m guessing it’s to do with that.

I can see what they have done and I know why, what you need to do is work out if they have done what they said they would do, they should have made you aware that to improve on what you have you will need to strip the original roof and go from there. 

I personally would have told you to strip both sides completely, use all the old tiles on one side and the new tiles on another. 

Maybe they didn't  know they wouldn't fit until they where up there. 

Some lads have difficulty stopping a job as they think they won’t get paid for what they have done. 

They should have stopped working pointed out the problem and reassessed the job, which would have meant delays and more cost for more tiles and stuff, instead they have fixed how they have probably done it 100 times, it’s just not good enough in this instance and you should have been informed that that is how it would be done. 

The problem could be that at the verge you will end will end up with a horrible big wedge of mortar if the tiles don’t fall on a downward bit and end up ending on an upward bit of the tile. 

Have you employed them directly or through a builder, if it’s through a builder he should have told you. 

I personally would have it all off and start again. 

Edited by Russell griffiths

Only way to salvage that is a joining strip to provide a proper drainage route, gate to say it but only places you'll see them is where they re-roof a semi-detached and leave the neighbours original, see it a lot on local authority housing where the privately owned one next to it isn't done at the same time.

All it might have needed was the tongue on the left hand side of the new tile grinded down 20mm+ to allow it to slide under the old tile. Then start at the join and work to the right. 

Either they come up or your going to end up with something like a 300mm wide strip of lead down the roof in lengths to suit 3/4 tiles with enough tucked under the top tile each time to hold it in place. Will not be the nicest looking but will keep the rain out. What you have now won't keep anything out.

• Like 1

It looks like you have 2 different brands of tiles, that is a terrible bodge that is not fit for purpose - the join is not water tight so you will be relying on the felt / membrane to keep water out.

Marley Bold Roll, Redland Regent and Sandtoft (not sure on the tile name) all look very similar but do not lock in together correctly - they are all slightly different.

They look the similar to mine - I have Marley Bold Roll on one roof and and Redland Regent on another.   Marley stopped making Bold roll a while back so you cannot buy new ones, so we chose Redland. (Marley Bold Roll are available from a lot of reclamation yards but are silly money.

The quickest fix for your issue would be a bonding gutter, but I would want it done correctly if it were my roof.

would it be possible that you could cover 1 elevation with the old tiles and tile the other with all new tiles or is there not enough old tiles? i have worked on a couple of roofs like this, also has the added benefit that the elevation that is seen from the road had all old tiles so couldnt tell there was an extension, you might also have a few old tiles left over for future repairs. As declan said they would probably fit with a small amound ground off, what they have done is absolutely shocking really

Who bought the new tiles? Did the roofer supply them or did the client source them?

If the client bought them and said, “fit these tiles” then the client is responsible. If the roofer supplied the tiles then the roofer is responsible. The client can’t expect the roofer to do the impossible or price for the variation of trying make mismatched tiles fit together.

it would have been reason to expect a skilled roofer to point out that this was not going to work before the job was done.