Wheelchair accessible property and damp proof membrane

Willow23

I am a full-time wheelchair user and we are building our own single storey property to suit my needs.  All through the build I have insisted on level or just a slight gradient access and definitely not ramped access, in line with part M1 43.  However, the contractor has inserted air bricks below the damp course and both him and Building Control are telling me I cannot have level access now and must have a ramp, just as if it’s to visitability standards and not full access.  The planning approval was for level access.  I know they should have used telescopic extenders to put the air bricks higher, but they keep dismissing  this.  We have a site meeting tomorrow with Building Control (it’s an external company who don’t seem to have a clue about wheelchair user’s needs) and our builder who also doesn’t seem to understand why I don’t want a ramp.  Can anyone advise me please?  We will have spent getting on for £900,000 on this property and it’s tearing us apart knowing that it will not be fully accessible for me.

What does it say in the contract and the drawings the builder is working to? If it's a key design requirement then it should be clearly marked up on the drawings, for instance the floor level and external ground levels being shown relative to OS datum: in this case it's a simple case that they've built it wrongly and need to fix it at their expense. If it doesn't then you may have more of a headache and there is a risk you will end up paying for the remedial work. Given your requirements you should not just accept it however.

http://www.nhbc.co.uk/Builders/ProductsandServices/TechZone/NHBCStandards/TechnicalGuidanceDocuments/61/filedownload,65368,en.pdf is very relevant here - a trough is possible but needs to be 600mm wide which may be an issue for you and your site (if it's anywhere near a path there is presumably the risk of you falling into it!). How far above the air bricks has the build gone? If it's only just above then knocking a hole in the outer leaf to fit the telescopic air brick extenders shouldn't be very expensive.

Essentially you'd take out the 4 bricks shown, attach a telescopic vent to the inside part of the existing air brick, and then make good with the vent in the new (upper) position. If they need to do the inside part of the current air brick as well they might need a slightly bigger hole, but not much.

bricks.jpg

So is the access plan a very shallow ramp or do you want the ground everywhere to be at the level of the threshold. In either case there is nothing to stop you providing a trough as @Russell griffiths & pdf27 suggests and even if it is 600 wide there is nothing to stop you (them if its they who have to fix it)  putting a grill on top of the trough so you can wheel across it although it will still fill with debris, leaves etc, and need regular cleaning so if you can get the telescopes that will be the better solution. As @pdf27 says if level access is in the spec then that is what the contractor should provide.

6 hours ago, Willow23 said:

I am a full-time wheelchair user and we are building our own single storey property to suit my needs.  All through the build I have insisted on level or just a slight gradient access and definitely not ramped access, in line with part M1 43.  However, the contractor has inserted air bricks below the damp course and both him and Building Control are telling me I cannot have level access now and must have a ramp, just as if it’s to visitability standards and not full access.  The planning approval was for level access.  I know they should have used telescopic extenders to put the air bricks higher, but they keep dismissing  this. 

Can you post a photo?

So as I understand the problem is if it was level immediately adjacent to the house the vents would be blocked. The answer might be to move the level area 6" away from the house to leave a "trough" or gap for air to get to the vents as others have suggested. This gap could be covered with something like a removable linear drain cover to prevent the wheels of your chair falling into it...

20200802_180345.thumb.jpg.bcb6951dc0149d19293deab87e814e95.jpg

Thank you everyone - the contract is for level access with a very slight gradient for water. The Architect we had unfortunately did a late drawing when the BC inspector said we needed air bricks, which we were unaware of and the contractor built it like this without checking with us.  It wasn’t until we looked at the bricks under the covers that we saw that air bricks had been put below the damp course.  It’s a timber framed bungalow with a brick wall, with a block wall behind, so a bit tricky now to get the telescopic vents in.  We met the BC inspector today and he, like several of you are suggesting,  the drainage channels with gravel, but I didn’t really want this, but looks like I’ve not got any choice now.  So frustrating when this house was meant to be built for my needs and is costing us so much money, yet not how I wanted it.  Thanks for all your kind help 

In a ‘normal’ situation, level access is only provided (and required) to the main door and failing that, another door on the principal storey. So you’d ramp up to that access and then ramp back down to normal ground level. Not only does this overcome the issues with air bricks but also helps alleviate any damp/tanking issues and stepped DPC’s.

If it was possible, a ground bearing or suspended concrete slab would have been better as opposed to a beam and block... assuming that is what you have?

Edited by DevilDamo

Yes we have a beam and block - all my doors are accessible and as this is a wheelchair accessible property, it has to comply with Approved document M1 43 - which states level access or a gentle slope and if necessary a ramp.  So frustrating when you are starting from scratch and still can’t get what you want -just because some contractors and architects don’t fully understand what level or a gentle slope means - they just seem to think it only needs to meet ‘visibility’ standards and this is not the case for wheelchair users -thanks for all your help -I should have come on this forum about a year ago when we started.

My level access area outside the front door extends far enough out from the house that we could put steps down off the sides for able-bodied people and coincidentally  expose the vents. We also have beam and block floor.

I'm away from home or I would post photo.