LABC vs private BC

Bitpipe

When we started the project, the architect suggested we use an independent assessor. Have to say, this is one of the best decisions we made.

They were cheaper than LABC (who price on the completion spend but this excludes kitchens, bathroom fittings etc so could be manipulated to be what you need) and are super responsive but also light touch.

There was a paper exercise up-front to supply all the detail drawings and calcs (these came direct from MBC and the structural engineer who designed the basement) and then details on other elements.

Their first major inspection was when the rebar was in, ahead of any concrete pour. Seeing the quality of the work meant they didn't need to come back until the frame was erected. Next visit was after first fix and we'll see them again near the end.

We've been able to negotiate away an external soil vent stack (their suggestion) and use of fireline plasterboard everywhere plus had sensible discussions on fire doors, escapes etc.

I'd say that they have saved me money and been a good checkpoint for some issues.

One golden rule though - whatever the outcome of a phone conversation - always get it in writing!

Our experience has been good too.  The guy we had was remarkably hands-off, but provided input when asked.  I was really surprised when he said he didn't want to see us after the frame went up until completion - I think he was really happy with the way we'd been doing things.

We used LABC & they've been great - not seen the chap since before windows went in about a year ago & he doesn't want to see anything until first fix starts.  Depends so much on individuals really.

cc

Meant to add that our guy was aligned with a warranty firm who gave us a very competitive quote initially (and he would have done the inspections for that also) but when we came to start work a year later, they had shot up in cost so we used Ark (Zurich backed) who were cheaper and require no inspections at all.

Good to see this post, as I'm just thinking about this very topic.

The LABC (actually 3 LABC's working together) and a local Independent I am thinking of using seem pretty close in terms of price, and after a brief chat, the independent seems to have a good local knowledge as well.  The Independent is also on a approved list of an Inspectors of the Warranty firm I have been recommended.  The price on the Warranty may or may not be decisive when it comes down to it.

On 24/05/2016 at 11:24, jack said:

Our experience has been good too.  The guy we had was remarkably hands-off, but provided input when asked.  I was really surprised when he said he didn't want to see us after the frame went up until completion - I think he was really happy with the way we'd been doing things.

Same for us. Initially, I sent him regular progress reports and photos and expedited him to visit the site. He hasn't to site been for months and I now don't expect to see him until completion.  It  seems they soon get a very bgood  idea of the quality of build, adherence to BR, etc   and make a decision about their requirements for visits,

Edited by HerbJ
  • Like 1