Block & Beam for Timber Frame detail

NickB

looks ok to me (not an expert).  The only thought I have is about the PIR on the inside of the rockwool - if you are layering different types of insulation aren't you meant to have the best insulator on the outside?  This could be complete rubbish but its in my head for some reason.  Others more informed than me will know the truth I'm sure...

48 minutes ago, CC45 said:

looks ok to me (not an expert).  The only thought I have is about the PIR on the inside of the rockwool - if you are layering different types of insulation aren't you meant to have the best insulator on the outside?  This could be complete rubbish but its in my head for some reason.  Others more informed than me will know the truth I'm sure...

As far as I’m aware you generally have the least vapour permeable insulation on the inside with more permeable on the outer, so vapour travels out of the structure instead of being able to get in but cannot get out. 

• Like 1

agreed - I wasn't talking about the vapour aspects of PIR.  I was just wondering about the temperature of the vapour as it 'flows' through the wall, where will the dew point occur?  Will it be within the wall structure?  Need @Jeremy Harris to chip in on this I think.  I'm sure the outside layer should have the highest insulation value fo rthis reason.  I could be wrong.

9 hours ago, CC45 said:

agreed - I wasn't talking about the vapour aspects of PIR.  I was just wondering about the temperature of the vapour as it 'flows' through the wall, where will the dew point occur?  Will it be within the wall structure?  Need @Jeremy Harris to chip in on this I think.  I'm sure the outside layer should have the highest insulation value fo rthis reason.  I could be wrong.

If this was the case, every timberframe company that puts pir on the inside of there rockwool filled frame would be in trouble as this is a fairly standard detail from a lot of timberframe manufacturers. 

12 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

If this was the case, every timberframe company that puts pir on the inside of there rockwool filled frame would be in trouble as this is a fairly standard detail from a lot of timberframe manufacturers. 

OK, not had any company involved so not seen that detail before.

13 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

agree, though that doesn't mean it's right. putting insulation inside the property has to bring the dew point closer to the inside. i have a feeling there is going to be a large problem in the future with internally insulated properties. this is also assuming the vcl has been done correctly and is stopping moisture entering the kit, want to hazard a guess as to the percentage which have a correct vcl?

On 03/08/2020 at 13:53, NickB said:

I had to make some amendments to accommodate the drop in height for the garage. Do these look ok with the wall sitting on the floor like this.

Screenshot 2020-08-03 at 13.49.28.png

Screenshot 2020-08-03 at 13.49.17.png

Where is your vcl in this section...or isn't there one?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
On 28/10/2020 at 20:31, Jason L said:

Hi , i notice that your 'z' vents have ben built on the outside of the blockwork, how are you going to accommodate them now, as i am just trying to resolve this detail ?

same.

in the outer insulated plinth?

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for such a slow reply. I'm not sure how useful this is now, but this is how we are doing it. We are using eps to the sides of the ductwork and then using some 3/8" thick 150mm aluminium that we have bought pre powdercoated from a supplier we have been using. The holes will be cut for the vents and then these vents will tidy up the holes:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08TC9HCH6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also, we have added 75mm of rockwool EW to the entire exterior of the house to put any steels inside the thermal envelope and use simpson strongtie brackets to take the cladding using 5mm thermal breaks. The insulation is wrapped in solitex fronta quattro with an open siberian larch cladding with 6mm gaps to keep it nice and ventilated.

Edited by NickB
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/09/2020 at 15:17, NickB said:

I thought I would update this with some pics. We pretty much have done it as the above drawing. Engineers drawing is attached too if it helps anyone else. 

IMG-20200925-WA0010.jpg

IMG-20200925-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20200925-WA0005.jpg

Screenshot 2020-09-25 at 15.16.25.png

What are the flanges you put around the service pipes? Where you find them?

• 3 months later...
On 03/08/2020 at 13:53, NickB said:

I had to make some amendments to accommodate the drop in height for the garage. Do these look ok with the wall sitting on the floor like this.

Screenshot 2020-08-03 at 13.49.28.png

Screenshot 2020-08-03 at 13.49.17.png

Hiya,

just came across this while looking around. Did you run the Marmox block under your external door thresholds too? Our door threshold will be level with the internal floor which means the screed will be above the timber sole plate (not sure if that’s ok or not) unless I delete the marmox where the door is.

hope your project went well looks impressive in the photos up to damp.

• 2 months later...

Hi, im building a an extension also using block and beam and with a timber frame structure above. Can anyone comment on fixing through the Marmox thermoblock breaking the DPM? I was planing on chem fixing the sole plate of the timber frame through the thermoblock into the blocks bellow but am concerned about pieceing the DPM.

Thanks,

image.png.5923ca73f51fcfc41e75669dccfc7817.png