Cladding to window frame detail

Longjock

Hi all,

I’m looking at the area of cladding that will sit in the window rebate and not sure what to do. Windows are alu clad Rationel and they show on their fitting instructions to leave the Compriband exposed when fitting the cladding rather than hard up against the edge of the frame. 

My my issue with this, is it leaves about 8mm if a gap between the board and the end of the cill. 

I like the the idea of running it up against, or even overlapping the frame but am also then concerned with the wooden frame over time being affected by little air flow (if you see what I mean). 

Ive attached pics showing the area with and without the choices. 

Any my ideas or examples of what others have done?

The wood shown is only a mock up and not the stuff that will be used. 

B4D113DC-D7BC-4CC4-8B25-D136ACC9837A.jpeg

EC21B14E-8F49-402D-8BD3-F7D173DA7709.jpeg

A71A0D70-835D-4E8C-9279-09F35E0CE2AA.jpeg

The reason to leave a gap around the window is normally to ensure correct ventilation (of the alu cladding) so I'd imagine if you go with the bottom option with a cladding return, it won't really matter as you'll still have air movement around the cladding (and it definitely looks better!)

That is what we’re looking to do. Exactly what I needed to know. Thanks guys. 

The discussion we’re now having is whether to paint the reveal board to match or to leave it as is!!!

@Andrew, no there isn't anything, only some insect mesh. I'd say if I were doing it again I might try and make those bits circled a bit neater. We have reasonable overhangs above the window so the cills don't see a lot of water running down them. So far I haven't seen a lot of water getting in behind the cladding through that hole.

18 hours ago, jamieled said:

@Andrew, no there isn't anything, only some insect mesh. I'd say if I were doing it again I might try and make those bits circled a bit neater. We have reasonable overhangs above the window so the cills don't see a lot of water running down them. So far I haven't seen a lot of water getting in behind the cladding through that hole.

Cheers for the info @jamieled, that's good to know actually.

I agree it does look sharp ?