8 yard skip volume... will my garage fit!!!

Carrerahill

Question to someone who has demolished a garage sized building and skipped it.

I have an 8 yarder coming tomorrow, idea is to demolish the old garage into it, imperial commons with some render, the area of garage that is left (some went 3 years ago for the new garage to be built) is basically a gable wall and 2 side walls -  no front at all - so we are looking at about a building of around 3x3.5m and 2.3m high, with the gable probably another good 300 bricks above the 2.3 height - will it fit in this skip do you think?

I know in volume it should fit but in real life will it? Also want to chuck the old kitchen and floor into it. 

My first thought is that weight would be the problem and this limit it affected by ground stability when the loaded skip is lifted back onto the truck.

A bit of maths suggests I am wrong.

You have 3.5 + 3 + 3.5 = 10 linear meters.

x 2.3m high = 23 m2 of wall.

23 x 60 bricks per m2 = 1380 bricks + render + mortar = 3 to 4 tons.

• Like 1

Yeh will fit fine but make sure they know it’s having bricks / hardcore in it as some will send different wagons to collect as a full skip of concrete and hardcore can weigh over 12 tonnes

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

My first thought is that weight would be the problem and this limit it affected by ground stability when the loaded skip is lifted back onto the truck.

A bit of maths suggests I am wrong.

You have 3.5 + 3 + 3.5 = 10 linear meters.

x 2.3m high = 23 m2 of wall.

23 x 60 bricks per m2 = 1380 bricks + render + mortar = 3 to 4 tons.

Good call.

I agree reference the weight and ground conditions, but that will be OK, had heavier in here and the ground is very stable.

I mentioned a brick garage going into the skip and the guy didn't say anything so I assume it will be fine - I will talk to the driver tomorrow and ask him, after all he is the one who does the lifting all day long and will know what his wagon can lift and will know if he has comfortably lifted a 8 yard skip full of rubble before.

9 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Yeh will fit fine but make sure they know it’s having bricks / hardcore in it as some will send different wagons to collect as a full skip of concrete and hardcore can weigh over 12 tonnes

Will ask driver what he thinks.

18 minutes ago, Carrerahill said:

I know in volume it should fit but in real life will it? 

Yes.

Heavy, dense stuff at the bottom , neatly stacked wood and kitchen units ... and there'll  be space for all the God-have-we-still-got-those?

In our case the kids' A Level notes. ?

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, ToughButterCup said:

Yes.

Heavy, dense stuff at the bottom , neatly stacked wood and kitchen units ... and there'll  be space for all the God-have-we-still-got-those?

Good.

We have managed to do our entire build, demo works, garden works, extension, garage etc. so far with no skip!

Everything has gone to a friends farm for a bonfire or to the recycling centre in about 50 car loads over the 3 years, also a big hole in the garden came in handy for rubble, I call it the soakaway now! The binmen were also very handy, they took full lengths of timber fascia with gutters still attached to them right into the back of the truck, all the rendering waste too (mainly bags of hard render and swept up chippings) ! Years of talking to them and being generally nice paid off!

Till this point I have also recycled loads of it so I feel good about the build, metals all went to the metal pile at the centre, rubble in the rubble dump for crushing, wooden pallets turned into log stores or if untreated wood burnt or reused to send things out on pallet. 

This is the final cleanup really.

Edited by Carrerahill

If you don’t mix the contents (brick and concrete only, no wood) you may get it cheaper as they don’t have to sort it and it can be used as hardcore or dumped direct (that’s what I used to do back in Bristol).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Carrerahill said:

Good.

We have managed to do our entire build, demo works, garden works, extension, garage etc. so far with no skip!

Everything has gone to a friends farm for a bonfire or to the recycling centre in about 50 car loads over the 3 years, also a big hole in the garden came in handy for rubble, I call it the soakaway now! The binmen were also very handy, they took full lengths of timber fascia with gutters still attached to them right into the back of the truck, all the rendering waste too (mainly bags of hard render and swept up chippings) ! Years of talking to them and being generally nice paid off!

Till this point I have also recycled loads of it so I feel good about the build, metals all went to the metal pile at the centre, rubble in the rubble dump for crushing, wooden pallets turned into log stores or if untreated wood burnt or reused to send things out on pallet. 

This is the final cleanup really.

Coming to the end of our build and we have not used one skip!!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

How so?  I am all for less waste.

Any rubbish I take to the recycling/rubbish centre. Have recycled as much as possible, re used my hardcore, dismantled all wood from Internorm pallets (alot of wood) and reused in the build

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Any rubbish I take to the recycling/rubbish centre. Have recycled as much as possible, re used my hardcore, dismantled all wood from Internorm pallets (alot of wood) and reused in the build

How many trips to the recycling centre? How far is it?

On 30/07/2020 at 12:59, ToughButterCup said:

Our daughter, 28, checks that we still have all her notes in the GGE. Wonder now much it will cost us to help her buy a place of her own with room for 'notes'. We can talk J and I both still have all our Uni notes / assignments / letters (remember them) we wrote to each other stored in our loft along with the accretion of life together as a pair of baby boomers who's parents forced the never throw it away it might come in useful mentality upon us. Now we have sheds of sheds, hundreds of KwHr of combustible material, our children will look at briefly as they pass it from loft to skip - 8 yards won't hack it, or more probably just hand over the keys to the house clearance people and tell them to 'disappear' it all. I guess with the exception of her notes, son won't care a jot. Sentiment for sediment is a forgotten thing.

17 hours ago, daiking said:

How many trips to the recycling centre? How far is it?

3 miles at most, usually go when my berlingo car is full and then to BM or Screwy etc. I get on well with the guys at the centre and always take them something at xmas. I have been numerous times, especially when my timber frame was unwrapped and I had to dispose of large bundles of plastic. Saved me a lot of money I think

I found a brilliant way of getting rid of site waste. 

I have a list of everybody that made my life a misery over planning, and on bin day I drive around in the night and fill all their wheely bins up with off cuts of plasterboard and pir insulation, it takes a fair while to drive around all of them but gives me a warm contented feeling inside. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Don’t forget to consider advertising some waste material on Facebook marketplace.  My demo ended up costing me £zero, and I made some profit,  as I sold most of the waste material.  Paid for the JCB & driver to demo my building.  Nearly everyone has Facebook now.

my tips:  

1.  Only advertise one or two items at a time, otherwise you can get inundated with messages.

2.   Don’t advertise decent stuff for free for collection, otherwise you’ll be inundated with messages.

3.   Don’t overprice stuff.  You won’t get £50 for a battered old stainless steel sink, but someone will take it for free. Don’t be greedy.

4.   If you have a lot of metal sell to scrappy, (I made £500) otherwise If just a few bits folk will happily take it off you.

5.   Broken slate tiles can be sold for garden borders.

6.   Rubble And soil for backfill/building up land.  Free for collection.

7.   Timber joists etc - denailed - flew - I had like 6 queries within as many minutes of posting.

8.   Stones and rocks for rockeries / dyking.  
9.  Old windows for sheds.

10.  Always respond quickly and be nice to purchasers.  They review you.  I didn’t get any time wasters, probably because everyone’s traceable via Facebook.  Gumtree less so.

11.  You’ll be surprised what goes.  It costs nothing to advertise it so nothing to lose by trying.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/07/2020 at 13:58, joe90 said:

If you don’t mix the contents (brick and concrete only, no wood) you may get it cheaper as they don’t have to sort it and it can be used as hardcore or dumped direct (that’s what I used to do back in Bristol).

We ended up filling 1 general and then getting in a brick/concrete only afterwards, which we also filled!

• Like 1

During the main build, I remember reviewing the skip contents every evening, pulling out recyclable wood, metal, plastic and cardboard and creating separate piles on site. Trades thought I was crazy but it was easy (and free) to dispose of the recyclables weekly at the local amenity site plus any kind of processed wood (MDF, OSB etc) and I offered the dry wood offcuts to locals for kindling - ended up with about 4 builders bags worth and only needed to take one to the dump in the end.

Meant a paid for skip was just used for genuine rubbish which saved me the cost of a few over the build.

I did need to get a plasterboard only skip during that phase and managed to squeeze every off cut into it.

Many trades would also dump their lunch bags into the skip which is against the hire rules and will attract rats etc over time. I used to fish those out daily also and separate out cans & bottles , food waste etc into the respective weekly collection bins. 

• Like 1

We did the same, no piece of wood was sacrificed to the skip, advertised on gumtree offcuts of kingspan insulation (we had a lot due to the cathedral ceiling) and it was all picked up by various people doing various projects. Biggest problem was the builders bringing stuff from other jobs that had no skips, they even left us with a fridge freezer from somewhere which had I seen it arriving it wouldn’t have been there but we only had 2 skips during the whole build.

• 1 year later...