General retrofitting of Acoustic insulation in older properties.

daiking

Without distracting from the issues in this thread, 

Is it worth retrofitting insulation in an older property? we can hear my child playing video games Upstairs whilst we watch the Tv in the lounge. 

My experience where the cowboy builder used a minimal amount of candy floss insulation in a ceiling is that there probably isn’t much effect.

But where I used rock wool slab insulation in the stud walls and ceiling of our utility room, I think it’s quite effective - despite the stud wall ‘not requiring it’ as it has a door in it. Washing machine and tumble dryer are reasonably well muted. 12mm pb + 100mm slab + 9mm pb + skims on both sides.

I suspect that 100mm slab insulation in a ceiling would be helpful but would it be worth the effort?

35 minutes ago, Bitpipe said:

Buy him a headset.

It must be a safe guarding thing, although I’ve never made a big thing about it but they play the game and group chat on their phones, on loudspeaker ?

3 minutes ago, daiking said:

It must be a safe guarding thing, although I’ve never made a big thing about it but they play the game and group chat on their phones, on loudspeaker ?

Fair point - our lad is 15 almost 16 so less concerned about that - headset only minimises the incoming sound, you can still hear them yelling though :)

Although if you soundproof too efficiently you won't hear what he's up to :)

3 minutes ago, Bitpipe said:

Fair point - our lad is 15 almost 16 so less concerned about that - headset only minimises the incoming sound, you can still hear them yelling though :)

Although if you soundproof too efficiently you won't hear what he's up to :)

Which is why it’s a question. What difference does it make?

So much flooring came up when we plumbed and re-wired I’ve probably got reasonable access if I went to the trouble of clearing the rooms and lifting the carpets.

Inhad a similar experience with my upstairs bathroom, where it was mainly candy floss insulation but with a few areas with nothing, so we could here pipe noises in the lounge below.

We it the more dense acoustic stuff in from WIckes, and it has definitely blunted the noise, but not made it silent.

For the small amount of money - up to a couple of hundred? - it is imo worth doing depending on how much extra the access would cost. 

Thread here:

Ferdinand