Drainage concerns

Jvh2012

We are currently 4 weeks away from completion on a plot of land, when we initially looked at the land a neighbour mentioned there was a problem with drains on the site. We had a sewage drain trace done and it showed a drain running through the land but it didn’t affect our build so we went ahead with the purchase. The person who did the trace said there are no further drains running through the site.  

We have been sent a plan from the sellers Solicitor from 1953 which shows another drain running through the site. We have been advised it could be a land drain, this runs close to where we want to build our detached garage.

we have spoken to today by a local developer, he has advised Us that he was offered the land a year ago and his architect advised him to stay away due to drain situation. I don’t understand what the problem could be if we’ve had a trace done? I don’t want to buy a piece of land that could either cost too much to build on or we won’t be able to build on.

the land has been up for sale for a very long time (since 2013) and has fallen through a couple of times, I don’t know what more we can do to ensure there is nothing there that will cause us problems. 

tia

What purpose does this ‘assumed’ land drain serve? Are you or they not sure it’s a public sewer of which there are certain development restrictions? If so and if the garage could cause an issue, can it not be re-located or re-designed accordingly?

I would not complete unless you are 100% happy, you need to do more checks and get some more tracing done. 

Even if it means spending 1-2 grand. 

I know of a plot that was purchased 3 years ago and cannot be built on, that’s a £150,000 cock up. 

If the sale has fallen through before the sellers will be very nervous that this goes through. 

Tell your solicitor to halt proceedings until you do more checks. 

If it’s a sewer it could cost you lots to move it many thousands. 

If it’s a land drain it will still cost a couple of grand to move to the edge of the plot. 

How much in price has this plot dropped in price price since it’s last sale, I would want to see it dropping drastically to make up for the agro. 

I know a chap that has a plot that he picked up very very cheaply, when I viewed it I tol him it was a good job it was cheap as he had £100,000 worth of agro coming.  I think he knows that and the price reflected that. 

39 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

I would not complete unless you are 100% happy, you need to do more checks and get some more tracing done. 

Even if it means spending 1-2 grand. 

I know of a plot that was purchased 3 years ago and cannot be built on, that’s a £150,000 cock up. 

I could not agree more.

And to top Russ' story, a drainage engineer - who came to advise us about our drainage - mentioned that his next meeting that day was to go and mediate on a site where the owner had built despite advice that the drainage -foul and surface water - would be a problem.  

It would interest me a great deal to analyse how and why some folk decide to proceed despite lots of well-found evidence that they should not do so.

Can you not apply to the local water company for a water connection and a drainage connection?  That should quickly yield their plans of what assets they have under the plot or nearby.  Do the same for electricity and you should get a plan of all their cables.

You should be doing this anyway before exchange so you know your water connection is not going to cost £40K for example.

Are you any good at dowsing or know anyone that is?  a walk around the plot with some dowsing rods could be interesting.

I am waiting for someone to contact me today, the drainage guy seemed to think that even if drains Were there they could be moved quite easily. But he was also adamant there were no other sewerage drains running through our land. How do I confirm whether there are drains there or not? I assumed a sewer trace would do this. I was told the land drain wouldn’t be a problem for building? It doesn’t go under where the house would be it goes along the edge of the land we are buying, where we wanted to build a detached garage. 
I have spoken with the water company, apparently they don’t have any knowledge of any drains as they took ownership of them from the local authority who didn’t map their drains.

Land drains are different to sewers and you can build over them without agreements needed unless you are in a drainage board area such as Lincolnshire where you may need permission. 

For a garage you can always build using a raft anyway - even if it is a land drain you can replace any clay pipe with a length or two of UPVC and support accordingly. 

Sewers are very much a different beast !!

I have attached the plan from 1953, it’s the red line running diagonally across the site we’ve been advised it a land drain but as I said have been contacted by a local guy who develops

porperty who has now made me panic and like he said the land has been for sale for a long time, this is our first self build so no clue what we are doing really, we thought the sewage trace was enough but clearly we are very wrong! 

7C4CE297-9A8E-4184-A15E-7EAFED67A6C4.jpeg

Can you ask the vendor for permission to dig a trial trench across the line of that pipe to see if it exists?  It looks like a trench across the boundary of that "sticking out bit" would identify if it was there or not.

Can you get something put in the contract that any costs of moving drainage would be reduced from the asking price. 

Tbh I think you hold the cards, if they have had 2 aborted sales they will be very twitchy and open to negotiation. 

Is it at market value or has it been discounted. 

I have a mate that got a plot reduced by £100,000 as services to the site would be £60,000 plus. 

It was still worth buying but at the right price. 

Anything can be moved but who pays for it. 

How would I do that if I’ve already paid her for the land sorry? We wouldn’t be able to dig until we’ve bought the land would we? Can we hold some of the money back until we clarify the drainage issue?

20 minutes ago, Jvh2012 said:

How would I do that if I’ve already paid her for the land sorry? We wouldn’t be able to dig until we’ve bought the land would we? Can we hold some of the money back until we clarify the drainage issue?

2 conflicting statements.  Have you completed on the purchase yet or not?

If you want to do some exploratory work before completion, ask the vendor for permission.