State of brick wall

Simba_ali

3 hours ago, Brickie said:

Looks like a non-porous,engineering style brick. 
I’d bet @Nickfromwales’s sheepskin sombrero that there was staining as it was built,and the contractor went crazy with the jet wash & brick acid at handover. You’re not supposed to hold the jet wash too close or for too long in one area because it’s detrimental to the joints,but the temptation is often too great. 

My grandmother didn’t die in vein. I still have that hat boyo ? and you can’t go betting with it ok. ?✌️

• Haha 1

As I said at  the beginning 

If it was me I would rake out and repoint all of it --not just where you can see holes

lets suppose that these holes you can see and others you cannot see yet  could hold water and then freeze and expand 

or

maybe  it is leaking through the outer skin to void   how long before it causes a rot problem on TF  inside 

No one can say 

so If it were my house I would  sort it sooner rather than later 

we can gather from quality of the job that maybe other things inside this ,like the house wrap may have been fitted  to same std as the brick laying 

• 1 month later...

So Ive had someone have a look at the wall offering pretty much what you guys suggest, either patch point missing mortar or do the whole wall but he suggested waiting until spring/summer if i choose to do the whole wall as the weather is starting to turn? Is this correct? 

He also mentioned the mortar is quite crumbly suggesting the mix is abit off but can't be sure . 

Some of the holes you can push half way in with a small pin suggesting it was tip pointed on the perps? Or they are the holes where the polelines were..

I've got another builder coming to offer a second opinion soon.

Must admit I was tempted to just use bostik express mortar (sealant tube style) to fill existing holes until people said it was crap ?

Edited by Simba_ali

With nights getting colder you run the risk of frost so could have patches that don't fully harden.

You shouldn't be able to crumble the mortar though so that would be a worry. 

See what the other builder says and take it from there.

6 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

With nights getting colder you run the risk of frost so could have patches that don't fully harden.

You shouldn't be able to crumble the mortar though so that would be a worry. 

See what the other builder says and take it from there.

It's not crumbling everywhere, just in the areas of missing mortar. 

If its cause by a weak mortar mix nhbc apparently offer raking out to depth of 10-20 mm and repointing to protect the mix behind. 

The only option other than this is to rebuild the entire wall which would be an absolute nightmare as half the house is under this wall. 

I take everyone's point though that mortar shouldnt be this worn after 4-5 years...I hope repointing can fix this