State of brick wall

Simba_ali

Hey

I've got an ongoing thread in the roofing section in relation to a balcony leak but I think this question may be better suited here. 

I know I have a leak on the roof upstand but I'm trying to establish if water penetration through the brick wall could also be a factor 

I've taken some pictures as I've noticed missing mortar in certain parts of the brickwork. I can't tell you whether they have appeared over time or if they were there when I purchased the house (new build 3 years old) 

How serious does they look for the overall quality of the mortar and the water penetration issue? Can these areas be patched up?

Many thanksIMG_20200729_174631_5.thumb.jpg.4538b975080440fb1b00dd1f4517d3d7.jpg

IMG_20200729_174710_0.jpg

IMG_20200729_174720_2.jpg

IMG_20200729_174615_5.jpg

• 1 month later...

Poorly rubbed up brickwork  typical of stubbiest on a price 

unlikely to leak none the less

to eliminate water penetration I a fix a sheet of poly over the brick wall in question 

I often find flashings leak in or junctions between bricks and balcony waterproof layer.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies. 

Its a new build about 4 years old. Not one of the bigger developers but still a typical cheap new build from my experience. 

What i can't tell is if this is just bad brickwork and has been like this from day one or if its getting worse. I've also notice small holes on the vertical joints on one edge of the brick. I will try and upload some pics soon thats shows this.

It rarely gets driving rain but when it does, the wall seems to dry out very quickly. 

What is also strange is the bottom half of the wall is of much better quality than the top half and has none of these problems. Its like 2 different people did the work! 

13 hours ago, Simba_ali said:

What is also strange is the bottom half of the wall is of much better quality than the top half and has none of these problems. Its like 2 different people did the work! 

Quite possibly. The new bungalow next to us has a half hipped wall facing us which had the walls bricked up to eaves height by one set of brickies and the bit above was done much later by different brickies. The bit above has different coloured mortar which hasn't been cleaned off the bricks as well as lower down. Does not look tidy.

Modern estates use teams of brickies - it’s not unusual to see different mortar beds, bonds etc as you move up a building. It is also why when you have two working together that haven’t before, only one does the setup of the corners unless they are using profiles. 

• Like 1

Hey 

i managed to get a photo of the strange holes appearing. Any idea why this could be happening? At the moment there seems to be about 5 of these all around one area but one or two in totally different areas.

The hole is around 1cm - 1.5 cm deep and then i hit something solid which im guessing is mortar 

Regards

received_799195667564318.jpeg

Edited by Simba_ali

ah ok i understand, thanks for explaining that for me. 

here is another photo showing the area they are concentrated in..

I'm considering contacting the new build warranty provider as my first thought was that this is weak mortar and is showing considerable weathering for only 4 years old.  This wall is 3 stories high and does get pretty soaked during the  winter but none of the other walls are showing this amount of wear. Ive also heard these holes could be frost damage? but in all honesty i have no idea. 

Does this look like its bad enough to need repointing? providing the mortar is sound obviously 

received_3101990199909373.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Simba_ali said:

Those holes are located where the red circle is in the photo. 

the entire wall is about 4 meters long and you have about 1.5 m on each side on the door roughly..

received_362884664759660.jpeg

This looks like different bricks were used when they go 7 courses from the top of the door.  Different mortar mix too.  Did you by off plan or was the house complete when you saw it?

It is a share buy property  through a housing association which i visited once prior to completion. I am passed the 2 year builders warranty but can still claim on the structual side of the warranty. 

it might be worth mentioning rain has been battering this wall for 2 days straight so the top of the wall is drenched and the bottom half seems drier

Edited by Simba_ali

Looks like a non-porous,engineering style brick. 
I’d bet @Nickfromwales’s sheepskin sombrero that there was staining as it was built,and the contractor went crazy with the jet wash & brick acid at handover. You’re not supposed to hold the jet wash too close or for too long in one area because it’s detrimental to the joints,but the temptation is often too great.