Price rise!

We’re having a wall built in the garden so I phoned up buildbase with a list of materials needed, dealt with them all through the house build and still have our account. Just got the prices through today; £9.50 a 25kg bag of cement and £101 for a tonne of building sand ex vat! The manager I spoke to informed me she is leaving next week and going to another bm so I’m wondering if the prices have really risen that much or if she’s trying to get new customers for her new merchant, certainly won’t be buying at that price!

Think they're having your pants down.?

Wickes are best for cement round here, £4.20 a bag all in, don't forget you can get a trade card for 10% off.

And £60 Inc VAT for a bulk bag of sand from Travis Perkins delivered

Or £42 at wickes even with the £30 delivery fee on top makes.me think they've not given you anything like a decent price.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Going to jump on this rather than start a new thread - what are people expecting to pay today for 100mm dense 7n concrete blocks, buying by the pallet?

TP Want £1.84 inc vat trade £2.04 inc vat none trade ?

Cheapest I can see so far is £1.26 inc vat from Jewson.

I'm sure a few months ago they were around 90p plus vat.

I believe mine were someting like £1.10 from Jewson earlier in the year. Couldn't find anything significantly less than £1 per block and "importing" them would have been more expensive due to shipping costs.

There is a lot of building going on here. Every other house seems to have trades of some kind working on it.

My nearest Buildbase branch has nothing of anything by the looks of it, but they aren't a huge branch.

Also trying to source some specific facing bricks which appear to be few and far between yet were ten a penny when I picked a few up for samples in the summer.

I agree, there are a few houses along my street starting to have work done so imagine after merchants got their stocks back up over the summer they have probably been shifting a lot of material. 

On 29/07/2020 at 17:38, Christine Walker said:

We’re having a wall built in the garden so I phoned up buildbase with a list of materials needed, dealt with them all through the house build and still have our account. Just got the prices through today; £9.50 a 25kg bag of cement and £101 for a tonne of building sand ex vat! The manager I spoke to informed me she is leaving next week and going to another bm so I’m wondering if the prices have really risen that much or if she’s trying to get new customers for her new merchant, certainly won’t be buying at that price!

Mad - I know this was back in June but just for reference, I get all my stuff from J W Grant, they have a branch in Coatbridge which may deliver to you.

I was looking at my invoices recently and we are on £3.10 for a bag of cement, £33 for a ton of sand/aggregate/mot etc. 

I just picked up 5 bags of Enewall (made in Wishaw) magnolia dry dashing top coat for £5.70 a bag.

1 hour ago, dangti6 said:

Going to jump on this rather than start a new thread - what are people expecting to pay today for 100mm dense 7n concrete blocks, buying by the pallet?

I paid 80p a block for a bale of 36 I ordered about 4 weeks ago on top of an order for other bits to top up my block stock for little bits of wall etc.

Just tried to buy 2 there and they wanted £1.68 inc the vat for the 2. Maybe we are spoilt as there is a block factory about 3 miles away.

I think the issue is supply and demand. Thistle multifinish was £12 a bag at one point but I see it is back down to £5.85 a bag in B&Q which means I could get it from the merchant for probably more like £5.00

Edited by Carrerahill
  • Like 1

I had a google and found a concrete supplier in my town that make blocks, so shall see what they come out as direct - good shout

(Feeling tight here saving pence each, but adds up when you are buying a fair few hundred and have some time to ring around!)

1 hour ago, dangti6 said:

Purchased a load of concrete blocks recently from Ridgeons 98p+vat each, building sand £31.20 and 25kg cement £3.95.

Those OP prices seem insane and I'm in Cambridge which is pricey. 

Ended up going to an independent bm , £30 a ton for the sand £4 a bag of cement and blocks were 85p each. Went to Jewson yesterday for enewall fine scratch render £9.50 a bag. Unfortunately the blocks etc are still lying waiting for the brickie who seems to have disappeared off the face of the earth! Just another diy job to add to the list ?

5 hours ago, dangti6 said:

100mm dense 7n concrete blocks

A local independent merchant came up trumps for 91p including the vodka and tonic. Saving over £150 across the 6 pallets ?

5 hours ago, dangti6 said:

Why are you wanting heavies ..?  They are in fairly short supply at the moment due to the market, why can’t you use 7.3N mediums ..?

They come in about 92p exc currently on account but I wouldn’t know if that was reduced further for multiple pallets but not sure how many you need ..?

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

Why are you wanting heavies ..?  They are in fairly short supply at the moment due to the market, why can’t you use 7.3N mediums ..?

They come in about 92p exc currently on account but I wouldn’t know if that was reduced further for multiple pallets but not sure how many you need ..?

Got some as per above post. Presumably I was comparing the same thing as Jewson do offer a dearer 7.3N block.

The ones I have ordered are listed as ‘Luffman Concrete Block 100mm 7.3N (72pk)’ 

Presumably they will turn up to be what I am expecting - building a single skin garage with them.