I considered it and we have a space where we could probably put one.

As we don't need one at the moment I decided it wasn't worth the hassle in term of maintenance and so on.

My feeling is that barring any unfortunate accidents, if I get to the point the I need a lift to get upstairs then I will have other things to worry about.

• Like 1

I'm not 100% convinced. But if it's cheaper than a staircase why not?. Also it will look cool - I mean a nice lift - upmarket. Just a thought at this stage......

What are the regs?. if I have a lift I assume I must have a staircase somewhere in the event of lift failure or fire. I plan to have a staircase also but it would be external.

Wonder if @Onoff wants to build me one once he's finished his bathroom of course!

• Like 1

One of the things that puts me off is that I think a small residential lift could look quite naff as it would probably be made down to a price. I suspect a nice one is £40k.

I would assume that a lift needs yearly servicing and unlike a block of flats where it is split between many people you could easily be £1000 a year for maintenance/insurance.

My nice curved glass staircase was high 20s and the only maintenance is dusting and occasional oil.

• Like 1

I have a service lift, as the kitchen is on the 3rd floor.  I use it for food and bins.  If you have a passenger lift you need to be tied into a maintenance contract and there are lots of regs that apply.  The service lifts are fairly simple.  Good for 50kg and cost £8,000.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, AliG said:

One of the things that puts me off is that I think a small residential lift could look quite naff as it would probably be made down to a price. I suspect a nice one is £40k.

I would assume that a lift needs yearly servicing and unlike a block of flats where it is split between many people you could easily be £1000 a year for maintenance/insurance.

My nice curved glass staircase was high 20s and the only maintenance is dusting and occasional oil.

Any pics of your staircase?

Just checking but you mean high 20k? ?

Edited by pocster

Thanks, I was prepared for it to be over £30k having looked at prices. I got 10% off for buying 2 stairs and a bookcase.

With the 10% off it was 29K including 14m of balustrade on the upper hall. So the stair itself would've been somewhat cheaper.

However, we have a matching walnut and glass stair up to the second floor that isn't curved and it was less than half the price, showing the premium for curves.

As the first thing you see when you come into the house, we wanted something special.

I remember an episode of Grand Designs where someone put in a curved stair that I don't think was a nice and I think they said it cost £35k.

Picture from today and from Christmas.

IMG_8544.JPG

IMG_6666.JPG

Edited by AliG
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, pocster said:

My plan was to have an internal helical staircase which I assume will cost me a kidney . Anyone had a lift installed ?

Just copy the one your making for outside ???????

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, AliG said:

Thanks, I was prepared for it to be over £30k having looked at prices. I got 10% off for buying 2 stairs and a bookcase.

With the 10% off it was 29K including 14m of balustrade on the upper hall. So the stair itself would've been somewhat cheaper.

However, we have a matching walnut and glass stair up to the second floor that isn't curved and it was less than half the price, showing the premium for curves.

As the first thing you see when you come into the house, we wanted something special.

I remember an episode of Grand Designs where someone put in a curved stair that I don't think was a nice and I think they said it cost £35k.

Picture from today and from Christmas.

IMG_8544.JPG

IMG_6666.JPG

Now I like that !!!!

On 29/07/2020 at 17:52, Dreadnaught said:

I think @Russdl was planning one, or at least the provision for one.

Our timber frame was constructed to allow for a through the floor lift should the need arise for one at some point in the future, nothing there at the moment.

As an off the shelf thought, I have a design in my head to make a DIY lift that operates over a staircase and something I will build if the need ever arises.  It's not something that would meet with any approvals whatsoever though.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ProDave said:

As an off the shelf thought, I have a design in my head to make a DIY lift that operates over a staircase and something I will build if the need ever arises.  It's not something that would meet with any approvals whatsoever though.

Ahem...

potter_001

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Nor will @Onoff s.

When my brother tore his ACL it was a serious thought as he only has an upstairs WC.

I suggested a proper stairlift which can be picked up 2nd hand for peanuts. Don't think he or his SWMBO wanted the decor messed up. That got me thinking...

I can only assume he thought "I'd rather sh!t in a bucket!" As that's what he did for a few weeks. 

Edited by Onoff

My proposal is something like a bosun's chair on an electric winch.

Then swap that for a rigid chair.  Add a couple of guide rails so it does not swing about. And a couple of extra ropes and counter weights so the winch is not lifting the full load.

It would lower down onto the bottom stair of the flight and at the top would be a gate in the banister to exit.

The major drawback is you would not want to leave it at the bottom when not in use as it would block the stair.