Urinal as site loo?

On 29/07/2020 at 15:30, newhome said:

From a female perspective I’d be walking the 6 minutes! Nothing would persuade me to use an on-site loo on a building site, urinal or otherwise. I’d rather pee in a bush! 

You may of course get some females who can do this. 

85BB8FD5-5570-460E-BD39-36A48EB8790D.jpeg

Females should invest in a Shewee - brilliant invention (I've used mine for hiking Killi and Everest Base Camp) and I'd avoid portaloos at all times. Luckily our neighbours let us use their loo so we never had to use the site one ?

Edited by canalsiderenovation
  • Thanks 1

Im a secret hippy and after a lot of research, I've created a DIY compost loo since the contractor took the disgusting Blue thing away. It's just a plaster bucket with a bale of wood shavings  in a little shed. You do your thing with skiing legs, then top up with shavings and it seriously doesn't smell. I will upgrade with a proper box to sit on soon, I promise. I'm with you Mr Punter. 

2 hours ago, Jilly said:

Im a secret hippy and after a lot of research, I've created a DIY compost loo since the contractor took the disgusting Blue thing away. It's just a plaster bucket with a bale of wood shavings  in a little shed. You do your thing with skiing legs, then top up with shavings and it seriously doesn't smell. I will upgrade with a proper box to sit on soon, I promise. I'm with you Mr Punter. 

I thought that female pee was not suitable for compost. Number 2s are probably OK.

Says the National Trust:

Staff at the National Trust's Wimpole Hall property are being encouraged to pee on a compost bale, saving the organization water, creating a nutrient rich compost activator to feed the Estate's 400 acres of gardens and parkland, and providing a valuable educational tool for visitors.

In the interests of public decency, the pee bale will only be in use outside of visiting hours, but even then it is estimated that it will save upwards of 1,000 individual trips to the bathroom over a year.

But gender segregation is alive and well in the National Trust's toilet policies—the pee bale is strictly for men only. And it's not just about the mechanical logistics of peeing outside, or preserving staff members' modesty, says head gardener Philip Whaites: "There are obvious logistical benefits to limiting it to male members of the team, but also male pee is preferable to women's, as the male stuff is apparently less acidic."

https://www.treehugger.com/is-male-pee-better-than-female-pee-the-compost-conundrum-4857550

I have a (female) friend with about 9 female dogs who asserts the same opinion about canines. She paved her entire back garden 'cos female dog-wee would ruin any grass.

Perhaps this is Mansplaining ?.

Though, @Jilly, having had horses you may have a larger scale experiment. Was it a 'mare?

F

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

I have a (female) friend with about 9 female dogs who asserts the same opinion about canines. She paved her entire back garden 'cos female dog-wee would ruin any grass.

I’ve had female dogs for years (they don’t go on the lawn area more because of the mud issue than anything else). I’ve recently got an entire male and his pee stinks much more than any of the females. My vet confirmed that this was normal! 

1 minute ago, newhome said:

I’ve had female dogs for years (they don’t go on the lawn area more because of the mud issue than anything else). I’ve recently got an entire male and his pee stinks much more than any of the females. My vet confirmed that this was normal! 

I think it's acid content staining / killing the grass etc rather than stink.

(The things we discuss on buildhub).

There may be something about garden size in this somewhere.

1 hour ago, Ferdinand said:

I think it's acid content staining / killing the grass etc rather than stink.

(The things we discuss on buildhub).

There may be something about garden size in this somewhere.

All the 'humanure' info I got  only refers to urine diverting, no sex segregation was mentioned. Everything composts just fine, given a very long time (don't go tipping the bucket for a year). You might be right about the garden size as my female Labrador never made typical bitch lawn stains, I suspect that happens when (any) dog uses the same spot constantly. Males don't  really do that as most learn to cock their leg. 

I think the National Trust female bar might have been to preserve modesty, considering the logistical difficulties (in the absence of sheewees).

Urine pH varies according to diet and metabolism, our urinary systems are similar, but sex hormones and the prostatic secretions play a part in odour, and as many domesticated species are not intact it's hard to be certain this isn't an urban myth.  

Yup, things we discuss...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jilly said:

All the 'humanure' info I got  only refers to urine diverting, no sex segregation was mentioned. Everything composts just fine, given a very long time (don't go tipping the bucket for a year). You might be right about the garden size as my female Labrador never made typical bitch lawn stains, I suspect that happens when (any) dog uses the same spot constantly. Males don't  really do that as most learn to cock their leg. 

I think the National Trust female bar might have been to preserve modesty, considering the logistical difficulties (in the absence of sheewees).

Urine pH varies according to diet and metabolism, our urinary systems are similar, but sex hormones and the prostatic secretions play a part in odour, and as many domesticated species are not intact it's hard to be certain this isn't an urban myth.  

Yup, things we discuss...

All the best, anyway.

Make sure no splinters. ?

• Haha 1