Urinal as site loo?

OK just to say I am supposedly a "professional" builder / developer but I am contemplating fitting a urinal, connected to mains drainage, for use during construction and I am interested in peoples views on this.

As background, the site, for 3 flats, is an infill and very tight.  Although we could fit a portaloo, it would get in the way of materials etc.  Also, they stink, are fairly expensive to rent, I hate the noise from the door banging and dislike the lingering odours from less civilised previous visitors.  There would be a cold water tap nearby and about 400 metres away there is a public loo should an operative have the need for a more substantial visit.

I know it does not cater for women / trans etc but for the most part it would work very well for the site.  It can be mounted on the rear of the wall on the front boundary, which is to be retained, with some OSB either side for modesty.

Views?

4 minutes ago, Onoff said:

I understand that we are required to make reasonable provision and I think the urinal does this.  The urinal is also Covid compliant as the only thing you need to touch during the process belongs to you (or at least I hope so).

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Just like the wretched Portaloo, your idea will be flushed.

Also, if you don't like banging sounds, best ask the carpenters to buy rubber mallets for knocking nails in.......:|

But not addressing the smell, cost and practicality issues.

In the early stages of our build I had nothing.  I told the builders the loo at our house 2 doors down was available should they need it.  They all chose to pee behind a tree.

Then one lunchtime, one of the builders announced very loudly "I'm off for lunch and a sh1t"

• Haha 2

I worked on a shop conversion a couple of years back

I went down to the basement where the site manager and worker where having there lunch 

Asked for the loo

and the site manager told me there was an open six inch drain

and could I push the board back over 

5 minutes later I popped my head around the door and asked if there was any toilet paper 

There was a five second pause before everyone laughed 

Very tight site Most where directed to Sainsbury’s Ten minutes walk away 

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

But not addressing the smell, cost and practicality issues.

Matters not one jot. And your solution for someone needing..... 

23 minutes ago, ProDave said:

a sh1t

.......is?

May need a "shatoff" also next to the urinal for when someone 'overloads' it, typically after walking to it 10cm dilated only to find out you just fitted a pissoir:/ 

Edited by Nickfromwales
  • Haha 2

53 minutes ago, nod said:

BBE689C1-58EE-4CE1-B1B0-C0106BE4D317.thumb.jpeg.fedb87b021b83d6da3ed0646eb5a1b98.jpegThis one loo is on one of our sites

Used by around 30 men 

You definitely wouldn’t want to do number 2s in this 

Especially after six hot days 

The guys who clean them out need given a knighthood when they retire. No amount of pay would Make me do that job.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mr Punter said:

OK just to say I am supposedly a "professional" builder / developer but I am contemplating fitting a urinal, connected to mains drainage, for use during construction and I am interested in peoples views on this.

As background, the site, for 3 flats, is an infill and very tight.  Although we could fit a portaloo, it would get in the way of materials etc.  Also, they stink, are fairly expensive to rent, I hate the noise from the door banging and dislike the lingering odours from less civilised previous visitors.  There would be a cold water tap nearby and about 400 metres away there is a public loo should an operative have the need for a more substantial visit.

I know it does not cater for women / trans etc but for the most part it would work very well for the site.  It can be mounted on the rear of the wall on the front boundary, which is to be retained, with some OSB either side for modesty.

Views?

Always reminds me of the Jackass lads when one of them is fastened inside a portaloo which is FULL if you know what I mean. The loo is fastened down while a crane extends a bungee that is attached to the loo until it is released,when the entire contents of the loo are released, enough said.???

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Many years ago the water treatment guy's manager on a near finished site I was on asked about welfare facilities. The site manager said he'd make the gents on floors 15 and 5 available as long as the water treatment company cleaned them at the end of the job. Not wanting to clean two lots the water guy's manager said just to leave the gents on 15 open. Off handedly he told his guy's there were loos on site. Somehow he told them the loos were open on 15 AND 5. 

We all used to indulge in the pub culture a bit hard. Coming down from the roof one day after a serious pi** up one lad from NZ REALLY needed to go. He stopped on 5 and ran to the loo... LOCKED. He then then ran frantically round a pristine empty floor trying all the WCs which of course were locked. Now in blind panic he chanced upon an open riser cupboard. In he ran into the dark riser, dropped his strides and let rip. As his eyes adjusted he realised he was actually squatting on an open grill floor and had explosively just shat down 5 plus floors.

It gets better...

Just at that moment the building manager arrived on the floor with some prospective tenants. Keen to see not just the office space but the M&E risers too they began their tour. By sheer luck the lad in the riser had rung his mates having used his shorts (he'd gone commando that day) to "clean himself up" with instruction for them to go to M&S and get him some new shorts. A couple of them arrived on the floor to find the tour in full swing. Trying to keep a straight face they signed to the building manager's PA and whispered what had happened. In shock she was desperately trying to get the manager's attention, mid him espousing the virtues of the building. It went on the lines of:

"Not now Debbie!"

"But it's REALLY important!"

Taking him to one side she muttered what had happened and that it might not be a good idea to show them the risers.

"I suggest we break for lunch!" said the building manager.

Alan from Wanaka you're a legend mate!

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Pete said:

Always reminds me of the Jackass lads when one of them is fastened inside a portaloo which is FULL if you know what I mean. The loo is fastened down while a crane extends a bungee that is attached to the loo until it is released,when the entire contents of the loo are released, enough said.???

That was a hard watch without gagging ,very funny though.

• Like 1

Lowering the tone of Buildhub was not my primary objective.  The proposed urinal was never a solution to shitting  needs, but they can be fulfilled by walking 6 minutes to the public loos.  Or crap at your own house.

Portaloos are gross.

iv worked on sites with urinals although they werent open air you will still need water to flush it or it will stink pretty quickly, although most sites i worked on also had a wooden box with a toilet in it aswell all plumbed into the public sewer, i think if you have a public toilet 400m away you could chance it, if you didnt have it the guys would likely piss around the back of the skip anyway so might aswell provide them with a urinal that you have half a chance of keeping "clean"

From a female perspective I’d be walking the 6 minutes! Nothing would persuade me to use an on-site loo on a building site, urinal or otherwise. I’d rather pee in a bush! 

You may of course get some females who can do this. 

85BB8FD5-5570-460E-BD39-36A48EB8790D.jpeg

46 minutes ago, newhome said:

From a female perspective I’d be walking the 6 minutes! Nothing would persuade me to use an on-site loo on a building site, urinal or otherwise. I’d rather pee in a bush! 

You may of course get some females who can do this. 

85BB8FD5-5570-460E-BD39-36A48EB8790D.jpeg

Is that a selfie  (runs away to hide...................)

• Haha 1

• 3 months later...

Update on this............

I have, this afternoon, taken delivery of a Chinese urinal.  I invited others from my household to the unboxing but sadly they declined so I did this alone.  The item had, to my relief, (and the future relief of site workers not yet known) arrived intact and undamaged.

The total cost of £52.19 means it will be neither my greatest bargain or my worst fail.  I will post a further update if / when I fit it on site.