Changes to planning permission

AstonJW

Hello all,

Please excuse me for the newbie question.

We are looking to purchase a large plot with planning permission for a four bed property & outbuilding.

Once planning has been approved, how difficult is it to make amendments to the planning with reference to the external structure / look of the property?

We love the situation and land that comes with the property, but the actual designs aren't necessarily what we would wish to build.

Thank you

Edited by AstonJW
  • Like 2

It would not be that difficult nor very complicated. Any changes to an approved application would result in a revised or new application to be submitted. There are some options as to the type of application along with application fees, e.g. Section 73/Variation of Condition or Full application. As you are already considering changes to the facade, I do not think the LPA would accept a Non-material amendment application, which is why I haven’t mentioned that as an application option.

• Like 1

Lot depends on what the surrounding  houses look like? If every house around was similar in appearance built from local stone and slate then even modest changes might be difficult. If nearby houses are a right mix of styles and designs then  even something outrageous might be allowed.

Been meaning to ask this question for a while myself. So much of what I see has a slightly generic oak framed 4 bed which isn't too bad of course but we'd always want to change it.

In some cases make the house smaller and move footprint slightly down the plot to make the garden bigger. I guess it depends on the local authority? 

Edited by Kerr10

2 hours ago, Kerr10 said:

Been meaning to ask this question for a while myself. So much of what I see has a slightly generic oak framed 4 bed which isn't too bad of course but we'd always want to change it.

In some cases make the house smaller and move footprint slightly down the plot to make the garden bigger. I guess it depends on the local authority? 

We wanted to change and move the approved house back on the plot. The planners fought us for over a year. Then we discovered a letter they had sent a previous owner saying "a larger house further back might be better". When we produced it they gave in and allowed what we wanted. Cost us >£10,000.

So its near impossible  to predict with any certainty how things will go. Sometimes they can be very bloody minded and other times just agree immediately.  Best advice is to try, but be prepared to build the approved house, perhaps with only minor modifications, if it all gets too much. Just don't give in too easily.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, DevilDamo said:

What does?

Just how they are with regards to moving the house location on the plot etc. If there is a row of houses it makes sense if the new build lines up but sometimes where the plot is slightly more remote I have seen plans where the house is just stuck right in the middle. A new position to give a bigger rear garden might be best rather than equally small front/back gardens.

Once the principle of  a house being on the plot is established, it's usually not too difficult to vary a permission (there are always exceptions!)

But I would seriously consider making an offer subject to planning if the permitted house isn't what you want, then at least you don't have to sink a huge amount into it before knowing you can get the house you want

• Like 1