Building on a plot with difficult access...

We're in the early stages of our project, but we can't hide from the fact that our 'plot' has tricky access. The driveway mouth is certainly not big enough to take a large builders merchants lorry. We may also have to face piping concrete in somehow when the time comes.

We know this will be a challenge, but has anyone worked in a similar situation? Any words of advice/encouragement?

Hey

Don’t worry always a solution .

My plot has awkward access also . Obviously without seeing your plot I can only make rough suggestions .

Material deliveries use a hiab . If that’s still a problem gets lots of materials delivered then crane into place . Or purchase a jack pump and move yourself .

Concrete no problem . Use on a craned hose can reach 50 metres or more . Pumped in no issue .

Have you got a site plan ? Easier to see your specific issues .

Necessity is the mother of invention... ?

• Like 1

I'll fly over it with my drone when the wind here subsides. It'll give a better idea of the junction layout. The road that it is on is quite narrow and turning in off the road is the main issue. It then goes uphill for a bit. Once it levels out at the top of the short hill I don't envisage any further problems, despite there being some ground to cover still, besides, once it's on our land the urgency is reduced.

The main issue is that the tricky driveway entrance is shared (albeit only with us and two others, one of whom only uses it as a holiday home, so infrequently there). So anything that is dropped off there needs to be done so with cooperation from the neighbours and moved ASAP. I can see me having to buy a Mini Digger or something similar, adapted to be able to move pallets of bricks etc as they arrive. Pushing them up the hill with a pump truck would be interesting for sure.

There is definitely scope to pump concrete over the top of some housing authority garages that are close by, so that's not a major worry.

Good to hear there's hope for us.

Can you widen the access, even if only temporarily?

We had a site a while ago and the only way to get a crane near was to block the road.  We got cars and vans past by building a ramp up to the footway in type 1 so they drove half on road, half on path.  Probably not strictly legal but it got the job done.  Some drivers got a bit stressed but a wheelchair user was upset when we later removed it because it had made her access easier.!

Don’t forget that some BMs use smaller 4 wheel wagons when they know there is an access issue. My preferred one has 2 types - I know to request the smaller one if I need a tight space delivery. 

• Like 1