Rendered detached garage build route

AliG

Hi,

Now that we have planning permission for a house we are looking to put in a separate application for a garage. It is a conservation area so no PD rights.

As the house is flat roofed with off white render, wood panels and 7016 windows we would expect the garage to look similar, so a 6x6m double garage with 7016 door, off white render, wood panels and a flat EPDM roof. Something roughly like the attached picture.

What is the best way to build this? It doesn't have to be insulated, used as a workshop or anything, just storage for a car and gardening equipment.

Can we just build a stick built timber frame and attach render board directly to the outside and OSB to the inside, maybe filling with rock wool? Would it need a cavity if it is rendered on the outside?

Or maybe it would be just as cheap to build it in single skin blockwork and render.

We had a quote for a very snazzy aluminium carport and storage, it was 20K! I reckon, a concrete base, and this kind of structure, plus a single motorised door could be brought in for around 15k?

image.thumb.png.926caf9a99a634d48f282455011410e3.png

image.png.ac0ee113bfb12bc2a95a3d7b1e463614.png

Double check the situation with the planning dept, as  I have pp to convert a stable in a Conservation Area, but all my PD rights removed.

In practice, this means I cannot make any applications for extension/chimney/garage etc until its been signed off and I can make a householder application.

Initially, I went in to speak to the duty officer (novice I suspect) and they told me I could apply for a 'variation of condition' to get an extension, which turned out to be completely incorrect and was refused (but they don't tell you why). I eventually got to speak to a  more experienced case officer after trying for a pre application meeting (which was shoved to the bottom of their pile as they are snowed under), and she explained the above. 

I wasted 6 months, so be careful. It doesn't mean you can't have it, but it may mean you have to be careful of timing with the application.

Thanks, I did discuss this with the architect who thought it would be OK to do a separate application. At worst it would delay the garage by a few months, we will put electrics , drainage and water supply to the expected position when we build the house as these can just be capped if not used.

Thanks @Russell griffiths

We don't need flat walls.

Do you reckon single skin blockwork is cheaper/better quality than timber frame?

Looks like we are talking around £100 per square metre of rendered wall. So £7500 for the walls including lintel, £3500 for the roof, £2000 for the door fitted, £5000 for foundations and slab. Then guttering etc probably takes it up to £20k.

Edited by AliG