Long Core Drill

Onoff

My garage when built had no provision for power so consequently I gave the swa from the house to the garage on a catenary.  It's temporary, as in "my" temporary! ?

Of more immediate concern is that I get "proper" power down to the gates. Plan is ducted swa but I need to drill down through the concrete floor then the footings at an angle. Trenching from the garage is no issue and I've a man with digger lined up. Pea shingle, cable tape, duct etc all ready to go. I've been putting this off for a while tba (unlike me). The swa could come straight out of the garage front pillar, down into the duct but I don't want that! Nor along the fence etc. That's just cr@p. 

What kit do I need to get / hire? Assuming a diamond core drill and I'd spray a hose on it? I've only ever got drillers in at work with their clamp down rigs and then only ever for vertical homes down/up through slabs. 

Not fussed about making a mess in the corner of the garage. Guessing the vertical depth from the garage floor to where the hole exits the footings will be about 600mm deep? All I have here is a 1m long 24mm SDS bit. If I hit any old iron etc that's been chucked in the footings that'll be no good. 

20200726_103520.thumb.jpg.636663c847d805c8cf1ca0736f08a065.jpg

Last time I did similar was when I did the water main in the house through thinner footings and it was a mission. I did it but it was bloody hard work with a cheap, dry TCT toothed dry bit and ad hoc extension bars.

20160917_192621

63mm duct btw. 

Cheers

Edited by Onoff

Why duct it if it’s SWA in the garage ..? Concrete will act as duct. Just pick it up outside by coring through the footings horizontally ..??

79693158-06C4-4039-B319-D393E3CE5B66.thumb.jpeg.71342962bd4fde9ecce460552a5304af.jpeg

Edited by PeterW
Added image

1 minute ago, joe90 said:

“work smarter not harder” an expression I heard years ago and follow whenever I can, anyone can knock their gonads off!!!

With me it's can, not should I.

• Confused 1

Just drill diagonally with your 1M long SDS bit, nice and slow. then dig outside to find where the drill breaks through. No need for duct, it's SWA. What size SWA are you proposing that won't fit through a 24mm hole?

Your SDS drill should have a clutch in case the drill jams.  I didn't know mine did until the first time it operated and I thought I had stripped the gearbox.

12 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Just drill diagonally with your 1M long SDS bit, nice and slow. then dig outside to find where the drill breaks through. No need for duct, it's SWA. What size SWA are you proposing that won't fit through a 24mm hole?

Your SDS drill should have a clutch in case the drill jams.  I didn't know mine did until the first time it operated and I thought I had stripped the gearbox.

I might look to run other stuff in its own smaller duct within the bigger one. 

1 minute ago, Onoff said:

I might look to run other stuff in its own smaller duct within the bigger one. 

Drill 2 holes side by side, one for the SWA and one for a 20mm conduit.  25 would be better if you had a slightly larger drill bit.

7 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Drill 2 holes side by side, one for the SWA and one for a 20mm conduit.  25 would be better if you had a slightly larger drill bit.

? I just know I'm going to hit steel judging by what was sticking out when I did a French drain along the side. I've got a re-bar bit but it's only a foot long. Figured one big 'ish duct. 

No harm in trying to get through with the long 24 I suppose. 

31 minutes ago, ProDave said:

What size SWA are you proposing that won't fit through a 24mm hole?

I've not even measured the run yet let alone work out what size. 

Tbh I might have done but have forgotten. That and I never date my fag packet sketches and calcs. First Flickr photo ref the gates is from 2010 when I went and collected my galvanised frame! I'd forgotten there were old wooden gates there.

PA280059

1 hour ago, Onoff said:

I've not even measured the run yet let alone work out what size. 

Tbh I might have done but have forgotten. That and I never date my fag packet sketches and calcs. First Flickr photo ref the gates is from 2010 when I went and collected my galvanised frame! I'd forgotten there were old wooden gates there.

PA280059

10 years and you still haven't done the gates, thats bloody slow going. We can laugh and joke about it but in all seriousness shouldn't the priority be in getting stuff done in the quickest and easiest way that works rather than mess around doing it in a way that no one else other than you is going to care about? There's no prizes for coring through the footings - its a ball ache for the sake of it.

Surely the easiest way to 'hide' it would be to dig a small trench outside, drill though about 100mm below ground level into garage, breaker the floor a bit so you hit where you drilled through to. The garage floor can be reconcreted, the pipe outside at 100mm deep can be backfilled and no one will be any the wiser its there?

Just my two cents?‍♂️