Micro-office

25 minutes ago, daiking said:

In addition to this I have recently done a basic budget for a 30 sq m garden room at the bottom of the garden with a view to completion over 12-18 months. Something like 100mm timber frame with insulation and flat roof. This was coming in at £10-12k before extras and paid contractors. So the commercial department have also put a stop on this as well.

Instead the Commercial Manager would like to see a shed summerhouse structure, such as yours, approx 12 sq m, in place in 4-6 weeks for approx £2k. Fortunately, it looks like a lot of suppliers are out of stock until next spring.

Funnily enough that’s pretty much my situation. I had grand plans that were quashed... I’m now going to be in a 6m2 potting shed ?

8 minutes ago, daiking said:

And if you’re boarding with 6mm ply, why not pack out the 44mm frame with offcuts for 50mm insulation?

It’s small enough already without losing a further 2inches from each wall ?

ive just realised you meant pack out with 6mm board off cuts... I read it as pack out with 50mm insulation ?... 

Not a bad idea. ?

Edited by Gav_P

Ok, so before I order some insulation board, what are people opinions on vapour barrier? It seems to be mixed as to whether it’s worth it on a shed. 
I have 44mm framing so was going to have 30mm Celotex, allowing a 14mm Air gap between the insulation and the exterior boarding. Or possibly 40mm with virtually no air gap. 

Then, use some foil tape to bridge any areas not covered in Celotex (in effect creating a vapour barrier), then 6mm ply to finish. 

I think it would be a bit of a ball ache trying to put a vapour barrier in, and possibly over kill??

On 04/09/2020 at 22:52, Gav_P said:

Ok, so before I order some insulation board, what are people opinions on vapour barrier? It seems to be mixed as to whether it’s worth it on a shed. 
I have 44mm framing so was going to have 30mm Celotex, allowing a 14mm Air gap between the insulation and the exterior boarding. Or possibly 40mm with virtually no air gap. 

Then, use some foil tape to bridge any areas not covered in Celotex (in effect creating a vapour barrier), then 6mm ply to finish. 

I think it would be a bit of a ball ache trying to put a vapour barrier in, and possibly over kill??

Anyone got opinion on whether vapour barrier is needed or not? 

29 minutes ago, Gav_P said:

This isn’t a house and I am not an expert but I don’t think I would in such a small space with no vent system. Allow moisture out but not in - breathable membrane under outer layer but no vapour barrier under the internal layer

Someone on here tried to insulate a shed with canned foam and I recall that afterwards it was just permanently a sweaty mess. 

Edited by daiking
  • Thanks 1

Thanks.  ? 

I doubt I would be able to get it airtight enough to make it a sweat box, I’m sure there will plenty of ‘built-in’ ventilation around the door and  windows. 

I was more concerned with the risk of water getting through the outer wood and on to the Celotex or trapped in the structure. 

1 hour ago, Gav_P said:

The foil facings have a water vapour resistance significantly higher (1000MN.s.g-1 ) than the value normally used for polythene vapour barriers (300MN.s.g-1 ).

Section 7.3 and 7.5 here https://insulation-uk.com/assets/5405_dry-lining_bba-certificate_nov2018.pdf

So you will unavoidably have a VB anyway.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I thought it was only fair that I reported back on my shed office. 

I bought a cheap potting shed. Went mad with the wood treatment to give it the best chance of repelling water, lined it with 40mm PIR, boarded it with 6mm ply. Power is currently by extension lead as I am just waiting for the electrician to connect the consumer unit.
Cost about £900-£1000 in total. 

It’s south facing and so warms up quickly in the sun on these cooler mornings (it’s been frosty outside). If it’s a bit nippy I turn the oil radiator on for 10mins and it says warm for the rest of the day. 

So from my perspective it’s worked out really well, great place to work and have video conferences without being disturbed. 

Thanks for the advice ?

• Like 1

That's looking good.

All I will add, is if this is a "standard" shed, it probably just has a mineral felt roof covering.  I would be replacing or over covering that with something far better like box profile steel or corrugated steel etc.  Mineral felt will start leaking after not many years, horrible stuff I would never use it.

2 hours ago, daiking said:

That’s far too good a job ? 

What’s that flooring as well? You’re just showing off now.

Haha. I had to put something down as I put PIR on the floor too. So I got the cheapest laminate flooring I could find (B&M home store). 

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

That's looking good.

All I will add, is if this is a "standard" shed, it probably just has a mineral felt roof covering.  I would be replacing or over covering that with something far better like box profile steel or corrugated steel etc.  Mineral felt will start leaking after not many years, horrible stuff I would never use it.

You are correct, it came with the crapist felt known to mankind, it resembled tissue paper. I was thinking to use some epdm on it.