Auto air bleeding valve.

• 3 months later...

@PeterW @Nickfromwales  @Russell griffiths 

Can you advise, my UFH has been off since March and I decided to top up all the loops on the 3 manifolds before we switched the heating on for the autumn / winter as one was gurgling a bit in the spring.

Have had the ground floor on and have had some huge pops / bangs in the 50mm Anhydrite screed.

The  pressure gauge on the manifold is reading 1.2 bar and on the front of the Ecodan cylinder 1.5 bar.

At the end of. each flow and return manifold are these, it it a bleed valve. 

What have I done??

Manifold.jpg

Hi Nick, I switch the UFH heating on in the main living space and after about half an hour while the manifold is still providing heat a loud pop / bang within the floor happens.

Could I have too much pressure in the loops or air?

I have just opened the air bleed points, no air just water.

Edited by JamesP

have you tried bleeding the loops?  I did all mine last weekend - it takes a few hours.  Good instructions normally come with the Wunda stuff.

If you aren't sure what you are doing then it would be sensible to get an expert in - you don't want to damage something in the slab!

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, CC45 said:

have you tried bleeding the loops?  I did all mine last weekend - it takes a few hours.  Good instructions normally come with the Wunda stuff.

If you aren't sure what you are doing then it would be sensible to get an expert in - you don't want to damage something in the slab!

I bled all 3 manifolds last week, it takes a while with 21 loops. I installed it all last year as has been working fine, no noise etc. All Wunda components and the instructions all helpful.

9 hours ago, JamesP said:

Hi Nick, I switch the UFH heating on in the main living space and after about half an hour while the manifold is still providing heat a loud pop / bang within the floor happens.

Could I have too much pressure in the loops or air?

I have just opened the air bleed points, no air just water.

Ok, so we can rule out issues with the heat / circulation then? This sounds like the noise is coming from expansion where heat is entering the slab and the pipes are warming up a cold / cool screed. First for me.

Do you notice the flow gauges jumping when these noises are occurring?

• Thanks 1

@Nickfromwales

Been running the UFH at 45c today, no loud noises.  The final floor has not been laid yet and a crack has appeared in the screed.

Also 3 loops provide the heat for that room and I notice the return pipe on one of the loops is not warm like the other 2. The floor area in part of that room is not warm.

Flow gauges are all open as have auto balancing actuators on the return. I might remove the actuator and replace with a white return valve manual head and see if the water flows through that loop.

Edited by JamesP

4 hours ago, JamesP said:

@Nickfromwales

Been running the UFH at 45c today, no loud noises.  The final floor has not been laid yet and a crack has appeared in the screed.

Also 3 loops provide the heat for that room and I notice the return pipe on one of the loops is not warm like the other 2. The floor area in part of that room is not warm.

Flow gauges are all open as have auto balancing actuators on the return. I might remove the actuator and replace with a white return valve manual head and see if the water flows through that loop.

Shut off flow to all which are working and try to purge the lazy one/s through 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Oz07 said:

That's what you said to do on mine if i get any air lock on the rad manifold system. I had the engineer turn the max heating temp down a bit on the boiler in the hope it stops any gases 

You should be setting it to maximise boiler efficiency, but 55oC seems to be about the mark so the TMV on the manifold can operate reliably.