You're underground what did you expect ?

2 hours ago, pocster said:

Though.....

Should I brace these? i.e. ... ( more wine please ; reality is slipping back in !) 

IMG_1810.jpg

If it were me I'd have 2 bits forming an X between the poles, hang your hoist from the middle point where they cross.

7 hours ago, pocster said:

wooden pallet as lift floor ( would prefer something made of metal to be honest ) . Sling straps from that to a ‘spreader’ then straps to winch 

Have a look for a steel stillage, you can get them with solid or mesh floors.https://metalcagesandpallets.co.uk/collections/all/products/metal-steel-mesh-stillage-with-removable-front-shallow-refurbished?variant=31757722026081

3 hours ago, pocster said:

Thanks . I’ve googled lap clamps - but not sure what I should be looking for ....

I guess the scaffolders call them single clamps. 

https://www.scaffoldingsupplies.co.uk/products/details/25.html

You could also use half clamps to secure to the masonry with Rawl bolts, but you'd need to be cock-on with positioning 

https://www.scaffoldingsupplies.co.uk/products/details/1318.html

2 hours ago, pocster said:

So @joe90 using PAAI (pocsters Advance Artificial Intelligence ). this arrangement feels better .. ( doesn't mean it is better; just feels better ! )

IMG_1809.jpg

Personally I'd leave the other two vertical poles long instead and run the lifting member to them. More stable due to being anchored to blockwork and leaves loading access from two sides 

The diagonals you show in later drawing will obviously help, but I doubt needed for 150kg

• Thanks 1

Just now, Reiver said:

If it were me I'd have 2 bits forming an X between the poles, hang your hoist from the middle point where they cross.

So you mean the same but with the other 2 corner posts ?. How do I fix the cross over point ?

2 minutes ago, JFDIY said:

Have a look for a steel stillage, you can get them with solid or mesh floors.https://metalcagesandpallets.co.uk/collections/all/products/metal-steel-mesh-stillage-with-removable-front-shallow-refurbished?variant=31757722026081

I guess the scaffolders call them single clamps. 

https://www.scaffoldingsupplies.co.uk/products/details/25.html

You could also use half clamps to secure to the masonry with Rawl bolts, but you'd need to be cock-on with positioning 

https://www.scaffoldingsupplies.co.uk/products/details/1318.html

Personally I'd leave the other two vertical poles long instead and run the lifting member to them. More stable due to being anchored to blockwork and leaves loading access from two sides 

The diagonals you show in later drawing will obviously help, but I doubt needed for 150kg

Ah !

A man of knowledge on such matters !

I didn’t know what a stillage was - but that does look promising.

?

23 minutes ago, pocster said:

So you mean the same but with the other 2 corner posts ?. How do I fix the cross over point ?

No, if you're using just 2 poles, like this:

pocster.jpg

But you could do a 4 pole version which obviously would have a bit more stability.

Edited by Reiver
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, pocster said:

Either a double scaffold clip, or buy another lifting sling and just wrap it around the cross-over and it will share the load through the two poles.

Edited by JFDIY
  • Like 2

On 31/07/2020 at 18:14, pocster said:

I did think that type of arrangement is what you meant. But I'm more comfortable ( i.e. less chance of my death ) with 4 corner posts I can then stick scaf boards across as a 'loading' platform. Also I'm unhappy ( not as in sad, I've drunk some wine now ) with the counter leaver weight. A corner to opposing corner vertical with a horizontal gantry across means the weight of the lift load is central so doesn't need a counter balance ( if I'm wrong I'll die proving you were right )!

Getting nowhere with this. Scaf companies being arsey.

Tempted by @joe90 original suggestion. All I need is 3 scaf poles . The 'guides' etc. to stop it rotating could all be done with timber ( cheaper and easier to obtain )

I guess even the 'spreader' could be timber??? - bit worried about that crushing and therefore failing.

I can see at least two Medieval torture devices in this thread.

Why don't you just fill it with banzai spikes, cover it with camouflage, and have done with it?

Find some sheep and you have homemade mutton kebab.

Sod your cellar.

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Vijay said:

if you're looking for the scaff company to give advice/recommend what you need, course they won't mate, they won't wan't the liability issues if anything ever goes wrong ;)

Yeah I did think of that . Perhaps I need to issue them with a contract stating they have no liability in the event of my injury / demise ?

12 hours ago, pocster said:

Yeah I did think of that . Perhaps I need to issue them with a contract stating they have no liability in the event of my injury / demise ?

NO, just buy what poles and clamps  you want from a supplier and don’t tell them what it’s for,!!,, (have PM a local company near you)

If I got a swivel hoist clamped to a vertical Scaff pole ; then there can’t be a counter weight ? . So could I just have as originally planned 1 Scaff pole bolted to the wall right in the corner and use the ‘swivel’ to move a platform around i.e load it not over the hole - then simply swivel round over the drop and lower ?? 

23 minutes ago, pocster said:

If I got a swivel hoist clamped to a vertical Scaff pole ; then there can’t be a counter weight ? . So could I just have as originally planned 1 Scaff pole bolted to the wall right in the corner and use the ‘swivel’ to move a platform around i.e load it not over the hole - then simply swivel round over the drop and lower ?? 

Risk is the pole bending and or it pulling away from the wall. A diagonal tie back to a strong point able to take the load guards against this.

14 minutes ago, pocster said:

Ooooooo .

Won’t quite go high enough for a fridge freezer ... 

But .....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274393345019

Electric Jib Crane - 400Kg / 882lb Lifting Hoist, 240V Heavy Duty ~ Rhino
AUTO BRAKE FAIL SAFE WINCH ~ 12 MONTH 100% UK WARRANTY

Still needs a counterweight. 

39 minutes ago, pocster said:

Ooooooo .

Won’t quite go high enough for a fridge freezer ... 

But .....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274393345019

Electric Jib Crane - 400Kg / 882lb Lifting Hoist, 240V Heavy Duty ~ Rhino
AUTO BRAKE FAIL SAFE WINCH ~ 12 MONTH 100% UK WARRANTY

fine provided you can secure frame down enough at top -- rawl bolts  or it will topple over-

pack up base so you can get fridge under it 

Edited by scottishjohn
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Risk is the pole bending and or it pulling away from the wall. A diagonal tie back to a strong point able to take the load guards against this.

Still needs a counterweight. 

Yep . Just read it throughly - takes standard Scaf poles to provide horizontal arms - then bags of sand I recon to counter weight it ( unless anyone can think of a cheaper alternative)

Also , if I need to resell when done will be easier - though something like this I think I would keep .... for parties 

Edited by pocster

3 hours ago, pocster said:

unless anyone can think of a cheaper alternative

sand is £1.80 for 25kg... you need 10 bags, that’s change of £20...

Other alternative is that glass is quite heavy, so if you knew anyone with say, some walk on units, they could be used for counterbalance ..??

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, PeterW said:

sand is £1.80 for 25kg... you need 10 bags, that’s change of £20...

Other alternative is that glass is quite heavy, so if you knew anyone with say, some walk on units, they could be used for counterbalance ..??

Tbh that’s not such a bad suggestion ! Or a corpse ....

28 minutes ago, joe90 said:

No need for swivel with my design, does not rely on rawlbolts for holding the pole to the wall, @pocster give me a sketch with your dimensions and I will give you a drawing (when I get back home next week) ?

Dimensions of my what ? ? its fecking big !

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, pocster said:

Dimensions of my what ? ? its fecking big !

Pillock! Your hole in the ground, height between levels, details of adjacent walls etc.

Not your imaginary friend!

?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Pillock! Your hole in the ground, height between levels, details of adjacent walls etc.

Not your imaginary friend!

?

Ahhhhhhhhhhh not my ridiculous walk on glazing buyer then !

Edited by PeterW
Mods ...