You're underground what did you expect ?

23 minutes ago, Onoff said:

On a serious note if said winch is left outside it will pay to make or get made a loose vinyl cover. Been using this lot for over 30 years:

http://sailmakers.co.uk/

I'm sure there'll be someone similar in your neck of the woods. 

(As an indicator how good they are they worked on the Cutty Sark after the fire a few years back). 

Plastic bag 

Just now, pocster said:

Plastic bag 

Mate served in Iraq told me it was de rigueur for the locals to cover mains junctions with a "carrier bags" up on roof tops. Not a good idea as though it rains infrequently the bags quickly go brittle. The mains junctions are often nothing more than bare wire ends twisted together.

He said they'd take it in turns to naked sunbathe (helmet on, weapon to hand) whilst on stag. More than once he'd been awoken by an unfortunate bird or rat disturbing the crumbling plastic bag with inevitable results. 

• Like 2

On 22/07/2020 at 18:05, pocster said:

I told SWMBO I'm going to build a lift.

Her immediate response was "Will it be permanent?" 

LOVE IT!?

yes that would be my thought -how you going to replace these units when they die in years to come 

@Russell griffiths has a genie he was wanting to sell--2k if i remember right -and sink it into the floor make it permanent fixture ?

not sure how you get that down there though --"not a packet of peanuts" -to quote snatch 

cheap chinese scissors lift  for pallets ?

Edited by scottishjohn

6 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

yes that would be my thought -how you going to replace these units when they die in years to come 

@Russell griffiths has a genie he was wanting to sell--2k if i remember right -and sink it into the floor make it permanent fixture ?

not sure how you get that down there though --"not a packet of peanuts" -to quote snatch 

cheap chinese scissors lift  for pallets ?

Sorry sold it, you all had your chance. 

HE WHO SNOOZES LOOSES 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You can take all the ever decreasing circles this thread has gone in and make a spiral staircase.

Serious answer:

Portable manual jib crane.

Scaff framework and a block and tackle (what I would do). Put some pavers or hunks of ply on the poor ground.

Inclined plane and a block and tackle.

Non serious answer.

Is there a suitable lifting cushion for that height that you can just blow up and deflate?

Ferdinand

19 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

it is a serious consideration  how he can replace fridges etc in time to come 

not just getting them in once 

I would probably consider a permanent framework disguised as a pergola for fitting a portable electric winch, or permanent mounting points for a temporary system that can be recreated in half an hour. 

An external domestic lift does seem to be a good option, but @pocster will not get one for tuppence.

Actually I suppose a further option is to repurpose a set of wheel ramps used for loading vehicles onto trailers as the inclined plane, which are only £100 or so. There's a set available for free in Italy somewhere:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2oEVBSedjE

Edited by Ferdinand

That ladder hoist I linked to just now is dead easy. Low component count too. Decent industrial ladder bolted to the wall. Cheapo engine hoist. Some Unistrut supporting a 1m x 1m lifting deck.

What's the worst that can happen? ?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, joe90 said:

I like that, simple, flexible but not sure I would want to put a washing machine on it ? (didn’t @pocster say that was one of his items?).

I think if want it raked back a bit rather than vertical.

I'm a bit late to the party on this;

I made a ladder hoist some years ago when tiling my roof I used a 7m ladder to get to the height I needed. A friend borrowed it recently for his own place, assembled onto a 4m ladder this time.

IMG-20200608-WA0000.thumb.jpg.38952a44339d0326d9f4ffb3add8a8da.jpg

I'd happily out 100kg on it. Wouldn't need much extra work to take more weight.

Hoist was a 125kg jobbie for sub-£50 at the time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, joe90 said:

I like that, simple, flexible but not sure I would want to put a washing machine on it ? (didn’t @pocster say that was one of his items?).

Yes. Think also big american fridge freezer. So it's not just about getting materials up/down otherwise I would just use a simple winch and gantry.

I reckon - I can build something than I can dismantle and then ( as others have said and indeed I have already thought of ) with the freezer etc. breaks down and needs to be replaced I have a easy setup lift to utilise.  Waining on @Onoff 's contact to get back to me.

• Thanks 1

its certainly in my plans to laeve aspace to install a lift some time in futre when stairs are too much #1.5mx 1.5m

which can be used as cupboards in the mean time 

but floors designed for it at  the outset

got ot be 2 levels to get best from the views 

Edited by scottishjohn

6 minutes ago, JFDIY said:

Buy an old forklift mast and bolt it to the wall, small hydraulic pack and away you go.

Heavy? Manhandling that over the edge and down the hole etc?

@pocster is there going to be any edge protection around this "hole" ever?

27 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Heavy? Manhandling that over the edge and down the hole etc?

@pocster is there going to be any edge protection around this "hole" ever?

Of course there is ! . Frameless glass balustrade  Also eventually there will be a straight metal staircase to go from the pit up to the garden .

” I have a vision “

” I don’t have the skill nor cash “ ?

10 minutes ago, pocster said:

Also eventually there will be a straight metal staircase to go from the pit up to the garden .

But until then don't trip over all that crap! ?

You can get "inclined  cargo lifts"...

You can also generally pick up stairlifts 2nd hand for peanuts...think Phoenix Nights! (They might smell a bit).

Just more food for thought...

1 minute ago, Onoff said:

But until then don't trip over all that crap! ?

You can get "inclined  cargo lifts"...

You can also generally pick up stairlifts 2nd hand for peanuts...think Phoenix Nights! (They might smell a bit).

Just more food for thought...

It’s not crap . It’s work in progress .

You can’t limit and stem creative juices . They must be allowed to flow unrestricted.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, pocster said:

Of course there is ! . Frameless glass balustrade  Also eventually there will be a straight metal staircase to go from the pit up to the garden .

” I have a vision “

” I don’t have the skill nor cash “ ?

So why the flapping fandango don't you install it now?

Or make an inclined plane out of that *GKD)~%! walk-on glazing?

Edited by Ferdinand

9 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

So why the flapping fandango don't you install it now?

Or make an inclined plane out of that *GKD)~%! walk-on glazing?

Because other works have to be done before a staircase can go in .

Anyway I still want a lift for the tons of materials not up / down a staircase.