You're underground what did you expect ?

15 minutes ago, pocster said:

So @joe90 the winch hanging off 1 pole with the hoist support is strong enough on it's own for 100kg? 

Now I am no SE but 100kg is just shy of 16stone, so a (well proportioned) person. The only weak spot IMO is the fixing of the pole to the top of the wall, this could be mitigated in two ways, 1/ another pole from top of the pole down to the other side of the basement 2/ see diagram

image.jpg

• Like 1

Another thought as I piece this together...

What 'wire /chain' should I use for the platform support to hoist? - perhaps ratchet straps ?? https://www.scaffolding-direct.co.uk/ratchet-straps/

What type of fixings do I need to bolt the vertical scaf pole to the concrete walls?

I'm sure there are other things I need to consider

Why not just erect a quick build steel tower and use that as your "lift shaft"? Strap to the walls rather than use outriggers. Your're so off piste with this in terms of H&S and probablyy LOLER and PUWER if you have any trades using it.

https://www.toptower.co.uk/classic-scaffold-tower.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqpuo55zj6gIVVeDtCh0Odw8KEAYYAyABEgJgffD_BwE

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Now I am no SE but 100kg is just shy of 16stone, so a (well proportioned) person. The only weak spot IMO is the fixing of the pole to the top of the wall, this could be mitigated in two ways, 1/ another pole from top of the pole down to the other side of the basement 2/ see diagram

image.jpg

3 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Why not just erect a quick build steel tower and use that as your "lift shaft"? Strap to the walls rather than use outriggers. Your're so off piste with this in terms of H&S and probablyy LOLER and PUWER if you have any trades using it.

https://www.toptower.co.uk/classic-scaffold-tower.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqpuo55zj6gIVVeDtCh0Odw8KEAYYAyABEgJgffD_BwE

Not sure now what benefit that would be?. H&S just called me and said it was "deemed acceptable" .

I think @joe90 plan seems a go'er ....

14 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Yep. Still need to guard against twisting. A local scaffold co would likely knock you something up quite cheap.

Don't want to hire anything. I can guarantee that this hoist/lift total cost will be less than that crane I had for all of 15 minutes....

?, now I am only 9 stone but I would certainly ride that ?. There are lots that wouldn’t  tho ?. Just had another thought, if that horizontal pole extended over the “platform” (pallet) a little, a long bolt in the end could locate in a hole in the platform to stop it swinging away from the wall when loading it!!! The winding mechanism has an “auto stop” to stop you winding the hook into the motor, you could rig it so this coIncides with the platform being level with the ground.

(am I on commission???) 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pocster said:

Yep. Still need to guard against twisting.

no, being in the corner rubbing up timber verticals it cannot twist, any weight on the platform will keep it against the wall. The advantage of using scaffold clamps mean you can adjust any joints rather than drilling etc.

Edited by joe90
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, joe90 said:

?, now I am only 9 stone but I would certainly ride that ?. There are lots that wouldn’t  tho ?. Just had another thought, if that horizontal pole extended over the “platform” (pallet) a little, a long bolt in the end could locate in a hole in the platform to stop it swinging away from the wall when loading it!!! The winding mechanism has an “auto stop” to stop you winding the hook into the motor, you could rig it so this coIncides with the platform being level with the ground.

(am I on commission???) 

Commission on it's way to you.

I weigh a bit more than 9 stone ?

Think I've got what you are saying.

Would it not be stronger/better to have the 'scaff ladder' as the gantry with at least 1 other pole?

Crap drawing to follow....

From my experience using scaffold as a hoist I think one pole (suitably triangulated above ground) will be well able to cope with 100kg, if you load the counter weight matching platform loading . Running up a corner (on suitable vertical timbers) the platform cannot twist. If the platform is located on a bolt as suggested at the top it cannot swing during loading.

stop procrastinating and get on with it ??????????

• Haha 1

I put up a kwikstage frame to lift both my 4.2m concrete lintels. Used a pulley block and sling attached to a standard across the top ledgers. It was easy 200kg+ in weight and the frame took it easily.

You could easily use the same but connect the electric winch onto the top. Have planks across the gap and you can set your cage on them and load it with whatever is going down. Start the lift and remove the planks and lower it down. With the winch on the inside of the frame it won't tip over as all the weight is in the middle. You have diagonal bars to each corner to strengthen it all up.

IMG_20200723_132331.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, joe90 said:

no, being in the corner rubbing up timber verticals it cannot twist, any weight on the platform will keep it against the wall. The advantage of using scaffold clamps mean you can adjust any joints rather than drilling etc.

Erm...YES. I meant if he fits a ladder beam he still needs to stop that twisting.

1 hour ago, Declan52 said:

I put up a kwikstage frame to lift both my 4.2m concrete lintels. Used a pulley block and sling attached to a standard across the top ledgers. It was easy 200kg+ in weight and the frame took it easily.

You could easily use the same but connect the electric winch onto the top. Have planks across the gap and you can set your cage on them and load it with whatever is going down. Start the lift and remove the planks and lower it down. With the winch on the inside of the frame it won't tip over as all the weight is in the middle. You have diagonal bars to each corner to strengthen it all up.

IMG_20200723_132331.jpg

Wot I said.

2 hours ago, pocster said:

Don't want to hire anything. I can guarantee that this hoist/lift total cost will be less than that crane I had for all of 15 minutes....

Meant buy. Cash job made up from old poles etc. 

2 hours ago, pocster said:

Ok not all verticals required . Most important ones are the corner one going to the other corner . Better strength as gantry supported at both ends - also reduces swing .

72CFA283-D7A6-4411-9889-BCD3028476B6.jpeg

Exhibit 1 at the inquest ?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Declan52 said:

IMG_20200723_132331.jpg

Without googling I'm guessing this is more expensive....

23 minutes ago, pocster said:

Without googling I'm guessing this is more expensive....

Under 20 bars of scaffold would be cheap, £50 to a local scaffolding company . 5 mins to put in place and take away. Can be stored in a fairly narrow gap. 

The frame is much more important than a fancy winch. It's what will take the weight. 

• Like 2

This is what I have just used to lift my first floor panels, some of which are over 200Kg. I decided to buy a slightly better qualikty Rhino hoist rather than an ebay one as my son was helping me and I'm keen not to kill him. The hardest part was lifting and fitting the hoist, although when we took it down we realised it could lower itself, it would have also pulled itself up!

build2.thumb.jpg.a24863a8d09ecaf311a551f8bf0e7a18.jpg

qrf1.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, trialuser said:

This is what I have just used to lift my first floor panels, some of which are over 200Kg. I decided to buy a slightly better qualikty Rhino hoist rather than an ebay one as my son was helping me and I'm keen not to kill him. The hardest part was lifting and fitting the hoist, although when we took it down we realised it could lower itself, it would have also pulled itself up!

build2.thumb.jpg.a24863a8d09ecaf311a551f8bf0e7a18.jpg

imageproxy.php?img=&key=f5f06bfe2c42e69cimageproxy.php?img=&key=f5f06bfe2c42e69cimageproxy.php?img=&key=f5f06bfe2c42e69cimageproxy.php?img=&key=f5f06bfe2c42e69cimageproxy.php?img=&key=f5f06bfe2c42e69cimageproxy.php?img=&key=f5f06bfe2c42e69c

qrf1.jpg

Cool

How much was the hoist ? If you don’t mind me asking 

10 minutes ago, pocster said:

Cool

How much was the hoist ? If you don’t mind me asking 

About £250 for the 1500kg one last time I looked - they probably do a WiFi version that can be used to lift walk on glazing for about £800 which would be better for you ...... 

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, PeterW said:

About £250 for the 1500kg one last time I looked - they probably do a WiFi version that can be used to lift walk on glazing for about £800 which would be better for you ...... 

crumbs @PeterW you’re in a cruel mode !!! 

On a serious note if said winch is left outside it will pay to make or get made a loose vinyl cover. Been using this lot for over 30 years:

http://sailmakers.co.uk/

I'm sure there'll be someone similar in your neck of the woods. 

(As an indicator how good they are they worked on the Cutty Sark after the fire a few years back). 

Edited by Onoff
  • Like 1