You're underground what did you expect ?

1 hour ago, pocster said:

also would like to bolt the whole structure to the concrete wall.

Is it an actual cast concrete or concrete block wall?

Only asking because "wall mounted" swing jibs are a thing. You would need a bfo vertical column however, about 3m higher than where you would be lifting say an upright freezer from.

1 minute ago, Onoff said:

Is it an actual cast concrete or concrete block wall?

Only asking because "wall mounted" swing jibs are a thing. You would need a bfo vertical column however, about 3m higher than where you would be lifting say an upright freezer from.

Well !

its hollow interlocking concrete Lego blocks - with steel added and then concrete poured into the whole structure.

1 hour ago, pocster said:

Now we're cooking. Any photo's of your creation?

sorry, no but I just bought one of those I posted and put a couple of scaffold poles sticking out the side to winch stuff up.. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, joe90 said:

sorry, no but I just bought one of those I posted and put a couple of scaffold poles sticking out the side to winch stuff up.. 

ok .

So how do you fix the winch to the scaffolding? 

6 minutes ago, pocster said:

ok .

So how do you fix the winch to the scaffolding? 

From @joe90 's pic it appears to have a couple of clamps on the top. Good price for a unit like that, might just buy myself one for the workshop.

• Like 1

Just now, pocster said:

Stupid question but shouldn't the gantry be supported the otherwise?. I've no idea how strong a scaff pole is taking any weight like that.

we didn’t winch much weight but we triangulated poles to stop the poles bending. What weight are you looking to lift?

Just now, joe90 said:

we didn’t winch much weight but we triangulated poles to stop the poles bending. What weight are you looking to lift?

I can't imagine any more than 120kg . But if it's fun, might get a few friends on it for a ride.

So you just got 3 scaff poles and made a tee-pee type shape?

I was genuinely thinking 4 poles ; 1 per corner - lift shaft style for strength and stability.

Found this in the screwfix reviews 

" Purchased this hoist for loft conversions, lifted 2 steels with no problem, use with a sheet clamp it shifted ply and plasterboard without a problem
Wished id bought it sooner
 "

?.   I should be on commission 

• Haha 1

Just now, joe90 said:

Found this in the screwfix reviews 

" Purchased this hoist for loft conversions, lifted 2 steels with no problem, use with a sheet clamp it shifted ply and plasterboard without a problem
Wished id bought it sooner
 "

?.   I should be on commission 

I think this is the way to go. I'll contact a scaff seller and propose what I'm planning to do - see how helpful ( or comical ) they are.

10 minutes ago, pocster said:

So you just got 3 scaff poles and made a tee-pee type shape?

No, house had full scaffolding, we extended a vertical above our head when on the top lift, additional pole from top of this back to inner set of scaffold to stop pole bending.

2 minutes ago, joe90 said:

No, house had full scaffolding, we extended a vertical above our head when on the top lift, additional pole from top of this back to inner set of scaffold to stop pole bending.

Got you

12 hours ago, joe90 said:

How about this, pole in corner of basement fixed to walls, then this above (excuse the drawing).

image.jpg

Duh, can’t rotate it!

Rotating it won't be an issue if I have a platform and have the winch much higher - literally like a lift.

I need to think how the winch connects to the platform ; otherwise I'll have steel cable going from each corner of the platform to a point above causing a much smaller area.