You're underground what did you expect ?

My single unit uvc turned up yesterday with installers . It weighed 130kg and worse it was top heavy . Nothing to dismantle. We tried multiple ways ( strapping it to a ladder , lower ladder etc. ) - to get it underground . It was fairly obvious this was a risky thing to do . So I quickly ( expensively ) ordered a crane to lower it down .

As I’ll have loads of other large items and heavy I really need a cheaper method I can use over and over again .

My temporary staircase just isn’t suitable to carry down a washing machine safely .

So I look out the back - thinking what can I construct that can lower materials / items safely ? . Perhaps a crane/winch bolted to the concrete wall ? 
Want some thing that will take the weight of a large American fridge freezer , washing machine , plenty of materials .

A nice hydraulic lifting platform would be good ?

Ideals welcome !

067970B4-1EB4-48C2-A466-E4CE13D3808A.jpeg

• Pocster changed the title to You're underground what did you expect ?

A-frame gantry? 

Difficult without seeing the wider site conditions. 

What's going over "the hole"? Build an I beam into a pergola structure?

Any higher structures adjacent?

Edited by Onoff

2 minutes ago, Onoff said:

A-frame gantry? 

Difficult without seeing the wider site conditions. 

What's going over "the hole"? Build an I beam into a pergola structure?

Yeah .

I thought about that - but there's no real good ground to stand it on. Bolting it to the walls seems a bit risky.

A mini elevator as in my latest video seems cool - but out of timber????!!!????

1 minute ago, pocster said:

Yeah .

I thought about that - but there's no real good ground to stand it on. Bolting it to the walls seems a bit risky.

A mini elevator as in my latest video seems cool - but out of timber????!!!????

Scaffold steel be better?. But what about most important part the gantry ? i.e the bit that's taking the load

I would have thought a genie lift would do the job? They go up to 4m and 180kg.

We used one to get two heavy (150kg) stone baths up to the first floor as, like you, I did not trust the mdf temp stairs to take the weight of that plus two blokes given there were 4 screws holding it in.

Edited by Bitpipe
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Bitpipe said:

I would have thought a genie lift would do the job? They go up to 4m and 180kg.

We used one to get two heavy (150kg) stone baths up to the first floor as, like you, I did not trust the mdf temp stairs to take the weight of that plus two blokes given there were 4 screws holding it in.

Quick google 3k!!! 

2 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

Can you not fit a staircase?  And some edge protection.  And tidy up.

I really don't want stairs. My previous ones rotted away. Also it is rather awkward/dangerous when carrying loads - so I do need a 'lift' of some sort

3 hours ago, wozza said:

How about a portable A frame gantry?

Yeah I looked into those. It's rough ground all around but it is do-able ( ignoring cost ). A lift sounds MUCH more fun!

Edited by pocster

2 hours ago, joe90 said:

One of these and an a frame made of scaffold pole. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200-1000KG-Electric-Hoist-Scaffold-Winch-Lifting-Crane-Scaffolding-Garage-Gantry/333657926630?hash=item4daf8febe6:g:eT4AAOSwVbVfEbeb

I used to use one of these fir bringing stuff up scaffold.

Now we're cooking. Any photo's of your creation?

How do you bolt/connect the scaffold to the A frame part?. I will need some guidance on what to buy /how to connect it - also would like to bolt the whole structure to the concrete wall.

Just had a brilliant thought! - the LIFT COULD HAVE A GLASS FLOOR!!! ?

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

Can you not fit a staircase?  And some edge protection.  And tidy up.

I WILL NEVER TIDY UP EVER!

A messy building site is a functional building site.

A tidy building site is one where no one does any work because they are too busy tidying.

I have made numerous a frames out of wood and metal for lifting everything from engines out of cars to cows out of swamps..... costs next to nothing and many that I Have built can lift in excess of 1000kg  - this poor bloody cow was stuck in a swamp for days and had lost The use of its legs Due to lost circulation, a few hours of massage got it back on its feet and it lived for a good   few more years. Scaffolding is the quick fix for lighter stuff, the ones in the photo are purpose built but not sure of there origin as a mate left them here 6 years ago...... 

461DE1FD-8508-4409-B0E1-BEEC5919974C.jpeg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Cpd said:

I have made numerous a frames out of wood and metal for lifting everything from engines out of cars to cows out of swamps..... costs next to nothing and many that I Have built can lift in excess of 1000kg  - this poor bloody cow was stuck in a swamp for days and had lost The use of its legs Due to lost circulation, a few hours of massage got it back on its feet and it lived for a good   few more years. Scaffolding is the quick fix for lighter stuff, the ones in the photo are purpose built but not sure of there origin as a mate left them here 6 years ago...... 

461DE1FD-8508-4409-B0E1-BEEC5919974C.jpeg

I would have started a fire under it - fresh steak !!