Can I attach joists to the top of a steel beam?

Got to the steel installation part of my DIY extension (single storey to Bungalow). I am cutting back the eaves to the existing wall which is what I have built my new walls up to match. Turns out the external walls way lower than the internal ceiling height. My plan (from YouTube vids) was that I would prop the roof and drop the eaves into the internal side of the new beam, then run joists from the flange of the steel to form the new roof.

So, is it possible to install the new beam and run the joists from the top of it for the new roof? Any idea how that's done? I was going to cut the ends to fit the flange previously.

Thanks.

Joists sat on top of the steel or within the webs..??

Sat on top is fine - easier if you fit a wall plate to the steel using bolts or a shot fire gun and then fix timber to timber. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, carlosdeanos said:

@PeterW So I think it would need to be sat on top to get the height. By wall plate, is that timber attached to the top of the steel? Like the plate I am fitting to the new outer wall to attach to? 

Yes.

As @PeterW has suggested, fix the wall plate to the steel - then fix the joists to the wall plate.

Edited by wozza
  • Thanks 1