Building Control, Private vs Local Authority

Hi 

The difference in price between a private building control inspector and the local authority guy for our extension project is a few hundred quid. Not a lot in the grand scheme of things but still. Is having a private company come out worth the extra spend ?

Thanks.

Edited by PipM

Some private are pretty good

Some are not 

I contacted three All about £100 more expensive than LA 

But the big difference is if you contact LA before 10am you Guaranteed same day visit 

The ones I contacted wanted at least a couple of days notice 

There are no limits to LA visits 

Very handy when you are doing foundations and drains 

Depends on your LA. Mine are useless - I've seen delays where they have said the "before 10, inspect by 4" and have not come out for 2 days which throws out schedules. On a slow build this may not be an issue, but when you are trying to get pours done and trenches covered then it can be a challenge.

The local one wouldn't accept photos via email either, but the private ones will and the private company reports following inspection are very detailed and a clear set of actions to fix and track to completion prior to the next inspection.

We went with a big-name private one and are quite happy (so far we are at 2nd fix stage). The guy has a quick turnaround, is VERY thorough on site visits and issues strict but very sensible and relevant advice. Flexible re emailed photos and other evidence, stage certificates issued promptly.

We went with a private BC firm, was very happy. They did not visit that much much (basement formwork, frame erection, cavity closing and final) but were on the ball and saved us doing unnecessary things but did not let important things slide either. Given we were their first passive standard build, they were very open minded on the construction method.

e.g. prompted us to make a formal start in April 2015 way ahead of the actual works planned for later that year so we could comply with the previous years regs - we did some drainage connection works required anyway for the caravan and that qualified.

Later in the build they agreed we did not need a soil vent pipe, as both neighbours had them, which saved penetrating a flat roof at the rear and all the hassle of making that watertight etc.

Very happy with us DIY the BC submissions without an architect (they were recommended by our architect) and kept us to deadline of getting the certificate out.

On 22/07/2020 at 10:56, Russell griffiths said:

Private company you will be lucky if they even come out. 

I am not yet at 1st fix and have lost count of the visits from my private building control inspector. Some visits detor into a general chinwag on politics and the state of the world.

1 minute ago, epsilonGreedy said:

I am not yet at 1st fix and have lost count of the visits from my private building control inspector. Some visits detor into a general chinwag on politics and the state of the world.

Fwend!

1 minute ago, epsilonGreedy said:

He had a special relationship with my site Portaloo. The inspector is into his 70's and found my site geographically convenient.

Nice quilted bog roll, a Readers Digest and maybe some wet wipes to smooth things along then!