Internal folding glass doors

ToughButterCup

The trouble with holidays is that they give @MrsRA time to think. And dream.

She's set her heart on an internal folding glass door (2.8m by about 3m). I notice that there are any number of suppliers out there. And that makes me wonder how to filter them - other than by price?

What to avoid? Any recommendations?

Ian

So if it was me...... Suggest to the lovely @MrsRA that she considers sliders not folders for internal glass doors as she will forever be asking you to clean them.

Glass pocket doors are surprisingly easy as they only need a 20mm slot with 10mm glass and they can appear to "disappear" into each side of the wall.

Or alternatively something like this..? Sliding Glass Door

9 minutes ago, Onoff said:

That link...so does the dog eventually learn not to run into them?

Apparently so....

I need to  have a quick look but I only think there is a legal requirement to put markers on commercial doors so domestic ones can be perfectly clear ... apart from finger prints and dog slobber of course ! 

No. (Pinterest). But you make a good point. My 'vision' such as it is, is for translucent not clear glass. I like the lightness but not the transparency.  Maybe a series of 'modesty' cats would do it.....

6 hours ago, Onoff said:

cat-splat.jpg

We had glass doors in my last house between the living room and the kitchen ( needed to get light from a window into that part the kitchen as was dark)and then the kids came along. Having to clean the glass every five mins of finger marks and slabbers soon wore very thin. They got replaced in no time. 

So put them in but I guarantee you the first kid that visits will have you pulling your hair out in 5 mins.

Guest Alphonsox

We've put in double glass doors between the hallway, the sitting room and the kitchen. this gives an internal view from one side of the house to the other. 

IMG_20161015_171957146.jpg

3 hours ago, Alphonsox said:

We've put in double glass doors between the hallway, the sitting room and the kitchen. this gives an internal view from one side of the house to the other.

IMG_20161015_171957146.jpg

That is what we are planning. Hung on parliament hinges so they will open right round and fold flat against the wall if you want the house opened up.

The purpose of them is mainly acoustic privacy if we want to watch, or listen to different things, we can close it off as two rooms either side of the hall.

14 hours ago, Construction Channel said:

call me cynical but what exactly is the point of internal glass doors? 

your not letting the light in and your not keeping the wind out so surely the only purpose is privacy??? 

We've got three translucent glass pocket doors in our hall leading into three different rooms and they do allow light to move into the hall especially if the sun is shining into one of the rooms.

Guest Alphonsox
11 hours ago, ProDave said:

That is what we are planning. Hung on parliament hinges so they will open right round and fold flat against the wall if you want the house opened up.

The purpose of them is mainly acoustic privacy if we want to watch, or listen to different things, we can close it off as two rooms either side of the hall.

Exactly our approach. The parliament hinges were a PITA to fit as they tend to amplify any minor misalignment but worth the effort. We can no open up the entire ground floor.