Advice on planning permission for shed

Hi everyone

I'm wanting to build a shed. Been looking through various sources online and through local council information, which is terribly difficult to actually find anything, to see what rules i have to follow with regards to planning permission.

I could have sworn i read somewhere that there is a clause that if i wish to build an outbuilding within 2.5 meters of a highway i need planning permission. However that was a little while ago, now I'm looking into it more seriously i can't find that information again.

If i look on the kirklees council planning & development site (https://www.kirklees.gov.uk/beta/planning-applications/find-out-if-you-need-planning-permission/default.aspx) it directs me to the Planning Portal (https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/43/outbuildings) which has no mention of highways. Only maximum height if im close to a boundary. 

Where we live we have a section of land behind the house which is more than big enough to put a small shed on, but it's right up against the road, no path or anything. Just my land, kirb, road. The road isn't a through road, just a small road for access to the houses at the bottom.

Can anyone confirm or deny that because the boundary is up-against a road I am indeed going to have to seek planning permission to build it?

I hope not, It'll be a right faff just for a shed. I wouldn't even know where to begin!

Thanks.

Edited by Stephen cooper

Well that makes that easy.

So according to that the fact the boundary may be next to a road is inconsequential. 

Does make me wonder where i got the extra road requirement from, assuming i hadn't made it up in my head which wouldn't be the first time.

Are these rules global for the whole of England or can different councils bolt on extra conditions?

If you are building a shed that is between a dwelling and the highway it will probably need PP especially as it sounds like it is so close to the road.

There are plenty of "back to front" houses like this, i used to live in one.  If you took the rules literally I could have put a shed in my front garden next to the path to the front door, because it was not between a building and the road. but to put a shed in the back garden technically needed PP.  Like most of the residents i ignored that and just put the shed up.

I can try and draw up a better diagram if this is a bit rubbish, but my property is circled in red.

image.png.adbee20e9afbbeddecf24c264c26e538.png

The section with the arrow is where i wish to put the shed.

The red/gray thing there was a 2006 Fiesta i was stripping so you can get an idea of the size of the space.

That is the back the house so the primary elevation would be on the opposite side.

The reason i wish to put a small shed on the back instead of the side is we plan to build an extension on the side (house came with permission, sadly it expired before we were in a position to build anything).

This shed, I'm hoping will be my miniature workshop for working on my cars, so within the two years i will have it set up with equipment i cant fit anywhere else (welders, hydraulic press etc) If i build it on the side when we do the extension i will be left with nowhere to put that equipment.

Oh and no fences.

I'm not averse to applying for permission if it is required (assuming i have a reasonable chance of it being accepted). It's just everything Iv'e been able to find suggests its not needed. Even though Iv'e got it stuck in my head that because of the road it would be.

Edited by Stephen cooper

I would personally just put the shed up. the worst that can happen is you will be asked to submit a retrospective planning application.

That house is one where the entire garden is between the building and the highway so it could be argued anywhere needs PP.

Having put the shed up, when you submit the plans for the extension, mark the shed on the plans as "existing shed" and by default if the plans for the extension are passed then so is PP for the shed.

Personally I would fence the garden, but you might want to leave that until after building the extension.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I would personally just put the shed up. the worst that can happen is you will be asked to submit a retrospective planning application.

That house is one where the entire garden is between the building and the highway so it could be argued anywhere needs PP.

Having put the shed up, when you submit the plans for the extension, mark the shed on the plans as "existing shed" and by default if the plans for the extension are passed then so is PP for the shed.

Personally I would fence the garden, but you might want to leave that until after building the extension.

Quick - take down the location plan identifying your house!!

9 minutes ago, ProDave said:

My only fear with that plan is if ever i was challenged about permission and lost i would be left with large heavy tools that would not be found in your average shed that i would have nowhere to house.

The goal is to set my self up with a small workshop so i can invest in tools iv'e always wanted but never been able to store under the stairs.

Sorry the lawned section is fenced, its the gravel section at the back that had the car on in that image that isn't fenced.

But then again maybe I'm over thinking it, i mean unless my neighbors complained whats the likely-hood that it would ever get noticed?

1 minute ago, the_r_sole said:

Quick - take down the location plan identifying your house!!

Sorry?

Edited by Stephen cooper

Providing your Class E PD rights remain intact, then an outbuilding/shed in that location would be considered to be PD. Homeowners have to also check to make sure there are also no legal restrictions, i.e. covenants preventing or restricting you from doing so.

+1

As I recall a rear road did once mean PP was required for sheds in rear gardens but thats not the case now. Just check you meet every point on the planning portal site.

PS I think the rules may differ for extensions between a house and a side road

Edited by Temp