Opinions needed! Glass or spindles?

sw879

Hi everyone

We are nearing the completion of our project and the next step is to decide whether we want a glass or wooden/metal banister.  I think both look great and I just can't decide between the two.  Part of me thinks the glass would open up the space and show the boiserie but I also love a more traditional look and think it would be more in keeping with our home (victorian property). I would love to have some of your opinions on what you think would look nicer in our home or if there's anything else relevant that we might have not considered.

I've attached a couple of images of our staircase at the moment (still a construction site) and image of what the glass should look like and a couple of images of the type of spindle/banister design we are after.

Thank you

S

IMG_3643.jpeg

IMG_3877.jpeg

staircase.jpg

spindles.jpg

4132826_12_5.jpg

In a sitation like yours have you considered full height slats?

1191a452c610f6682a668a450eb1b26b.jpg

The glass (for me) looks better where there's a bit of room around it, whereas yours splits the corridor - there's loads of different examples of this approach but it'll depend a bit on the rest of your decor

I like the Burbidge Fusion System, now used in our second house. a nice blend between modern and traditional.

They also do an alternative with small glass panels instead of the chrome spindles which gives the glass look but as an off the shelf solution rather than having to be custom made,

fusion_4.thumb.jpg.c7f19c301595411d15b25388bb14d238.jpg

Depends on what sort of look you want really.  We have glass and like it a lot; cleaning glass beats dusting spindles!  Bear in mind that you might struggle to achieve the 'frameless' look pictured in the OP, and will probably need a hand rail.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roundtuit said:

cleaning glass beats dusting spindles! 

Oh I beg to differ , I have a 10m long conservatory! I wish I could dust that with my widget ? but I do agree, horses for courses as they say.

912F1116-A652-4BE3-870C-9A2D1B5CBE43.jpeg

Edited by joe90
  • Haha 1

Do you have any pets? Our cat tends to leave paw marks on any glass surface she can find, as well as poke her nose onto it (snot marks ? ) - i'd rather be dusting the spindles...

Also me being a bit challenged I am always anxious not to break such glass panels on stairs when carrying something bulky / heavy upstairs.

Thanks everyone for being so helpful :)

I never considered the cleaning aspect and I imagine that cleaning finger prints from glass is a lot more work than dusting spindles.  For that reason we're going to go with spindles.

Thanks again

• Thanks 1