Iron ore residue

deuce22

Hi.

I have recently dug out for the foundations on a sloping site and the bank at the back of the house has an orange - petrol coloured liquid coming out in a couple of places. A local ground worker that's helping me with the dig, has said that it's all over the area and it's Iron ore residue from the closing of the mines.

The building inspector has also seen it and wants me to get it checked out. I've mentioned it to my architect and he is in the process of finding out what needs to be done.

Has anybody come across this before and what is the solution to it?

Thanks.

IMG_2527.jpg

IMG_2528.jpg

Not the same, but we have oil contamination. Solution is for the basement tanking company to place an additional chemical proof barrier under the slab to prevent any oil attacking the tanking membrane.

The BCO didn't mention anything about issues with the waterproofing. He was concerned about where it is draining to. Mine will be going into land drains and then connecting to a culvert along with the rest of the surface water.

Where have you got yours draining?

Thanks.

We have a high iron content in our clay soil, sometimes a “petrol” effect shows In puddles. However my late father in law used to drink water from his well (ground water not aquifer) and he lived to a ripe old age.

Edited by joe90

22 minutes ago, joe90 said:

We have a high iron content in our clay soil, sometimes a “petrol” effect shows In puddles. However my late father in law used to drink water from his well (ground water not aquifer) and he lived to a ripe old age.

Sure he hasn't buried a petrol tank(er)?

I did see the same effect on the side walls of the watercourse when I first bought the plot, so I'm sure it was going into the culvert at some point. I'm not trying to channel it, the back of the house is a retaining wall and that's where the bulk of it is showing. I have to put a land drain at the back of this wall to stop the added pressure.

The BCO just seemed concerned about it contaminating the water going into the culvert. I'm wondering what difference it is compared to before.

27 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Sure he hasn't buried a petrol tank(er)?

Ha, he buried everything, I even found bits of triumph herald, apparently he used half the car to drive a circular saw for his firewood ?

• Like 1