Hello Everyone! 

I am in the process of renovating my balcony. I live in a row of 4 terraced houses all houses with matching balconies. 

The problem I have is that there is a real lack of privacy, we only have a small partition between us and If anyone of us are on the balcony it is impossible to relax. 

I have tried speaking to the neighbours to fix the issue but they are reluctant to cooperate as they don’t like change. Their main concern is the view being effected even though the view is across our balcony. 

My question to everyone is how high of a partition can I legally erect without permission? I know at ground level the height is 2m but as it’s up on a balcony I can’t find any information. 

it’s something we’d really like to sort as we feel uncomfortable sitting out there. 

any help would be amazing and greatly appreciated :) 

1 hour ago, nod said:

Normally on new builds the partitions are around 1800 high 

Which is enough to give you a bit of privacy when you are sat down 

Thanks for this. 1800 would be nice, problem is I’m not sure if I’m allowed to, I can only find information on fencing height measured from ground level. Would it breach planning and I’d need to remove it or apply for planning permission? 

12 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Make it temporary - how about a planter with a trellis back to it ..?? 1800x600 and will also soften the appearance of it. 

That’s what I’m thinking now, do you think I’m within my rights to do this? Of course if it’s temporary it can come down if I’m forced to but I’d rather do things within the law in the first place. 

thanks for your help :) 

Or make a hinged partition so you can "close" it when you want to sit on the balcony, and leave it "open" when not using it so your neighbour can get his view.

Over time perhaps leave it closed more than open, you get the idea.

8 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Unless there is something in the lease/deeds to the property such as a covenant, I can’t see how a temporary structure would cause problems. Would look nice too ..!

I think you’re right, it would go some way in absorbing sound and smells, my other neighbours smoke on their balcony, being asthmatic it makes the balcony even more unusable 

9 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Or make a hinged partition so you can "close" it when you want to sit on the balcony, and leave it "open" when not using it so your neighbour can get his view.

Over time perhaps leave it closed more than open, you get the idea.

That’s not a bad idea! 

Why not grow an evergreen or flowering climber, or say tomatoes?

If you look back at editions of some gardening programmes there has been a lot of "from the presenters garden", and some have included balcony gardening in flats.

eg If you look up The Beechgrove Garden on BBC2, one of the presenters has been stuck in a flat in Edinburgh.

I am something of a fan of that programme since introduced to it by mum, on the basis that if something will grow just outside Aberdeen in the land of howling gales, I have a reasonable chance of making it work 400 miles to the South on my modest hill in Notts. They also seem to be far less up themselves than other gardening programmes.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

1 hour ago, Ferdinand said:

Why not grow an evergreen or flowering climber, or say tomatoes?

If you look back at editions of some gardening programmes there has been a lot of "from the presenters garden", and some have included balcony gardening in flats.

eg If you look up The Beechgrove Garden on BBC2, one of the presenters has been stuck in a flat in Edinburgh.

I am something of a fan of that programme since introduced to it by mum, on the basis that if something will grow just outside Aberdeen in the land of howling gales, I have a reasonable chance of making it work 400 miles to the South on my modest hill in Notts. They also seem to be far less up themselves than other gardening programmes.

Ferdinand

I’ll check it out for sure! Thanks for the advice. I’ll look into it. I’ll have to let you all know what the neighbour says when I “ruin their view”