Polycarbonate Windows

Glenn

Hello all,

I'm converting some sheds for workshop/storage and temporary accommodation. The sheds will have well insulated floor/walls/roof. The (steel) roof will include polycarbonate skylights. Rural situation, mostly out of sight

Looking around for 2nd hand windows, patio doors and other doors on my favorite shop (eBay) has left me underwhelmed. Anything 2nd hand is of course a bit of a compromise in terms of size and pickup location. I wondered instead about making up some basic windows and doors using 2x4 timber + triple wall polycarbonate. A view isn't important to me from this building, only that a reasonable amount of light is transmitted and that any window/patio door is reasonably draught free and insulated. Longevity not the top requirement. 

I was wondering if anyone has made a plastic window or door before, or if you haven't, how would you make it? Interesting thought experiment? I've thought of a polycarbonate sheet to the sizeof the opening, 'framed' by sandwiching it between 2 frames of 2x2 timber, cross braced for stiffness. The window/door swings outward, when shut its perimeter butts against a 1x1 wood strip with a foam or rubber gasket. Very crude stuff, possible effective?

Grateful for any thoughts, even if it's just to say, for goodness sake just get some 2nd hand windows...

Regards

Glenn