New (taller) roof on existing outbuilding which is forward of the principle elevation

Matt Davey

We have an existing 3m tall garage/workshop which sits alongside the house but partially in front of the principle elevation. It is war-time era (probably built before the house in fact which is a 1960's bungalow) and constructed from concrete block walls with Asbestos roof sheeting.....yes I know the 'A' word!. For this reason as well as the fact it leaks and is an eye sore, we are looking to replace the roof with new trusses and tiles.

Under permitted development we have read that, provided the various criteria is met, any outbuilding if fitted with a dual pitch roof can be 2.5m at the eaves and 4m at the peak. This is what we should like to install as the replacement, but we are unsure how PD applies to existing outbuildings and although we meet all the remaining criteria there is the issue that some of the garage does sit just in-front of the main dwelling. Has anyone had a similar scenario & have any useful knowledge they could share with us please?  

Edited by Matt Davey

Any alteration to a roof that is forward of the front elevation cannot normally be carried out under PD. Outbuildings themselves cannot be installed forward of the front elevation should you end up considering a replacement. A formal

Planning application would in my opinion be required and should have no issues in being approved.

• Like 1

The previous owner secured pp for the garage here that is well forward of the principle elevation albeit off to one side.

Though still a fair distance from the road, as the house itself is, they insisted the garage had a hip end or so I was told.

• Like 1

You could always be creative and replace the entire roof, with the part level with or behind the principle elevation pitched, and the portion in front of the principle elevation still flat at the original height.

At a previous house I had to go to appeal to get a garage in front of the principle elevation.