Extension built smaller than plans

We are having a large extension built. The builders have got the shell up and knocked through. We currently do not have a kitchen and there is about 8 weeks of internal work left to complete.

We have been largely happy with the work so far until yesterday when we happened to check the internal measurements and on checking discovered it was 24cm too narrow. This means it is approx 5% smaller than it should be and will make furniture arrangement tricky.

I am wondering if I am being unreasonable to seek financial compenation from the builders and if so how much would be reasonable?

Up to now we have had a good relationship with them and would like them to finish the work as we need it done quickly. However it is a big decrease in size from the plans. The builders have admited in writing it was their mistake and apologised but have not suggested any compensation.

How much compensation would be reasonable and do builders have insurance to cover this sort of thing? I was wondering about 5% of total costs or a amount based on the value of the missing floor area. Would this be unreasonable? I assume their cost savings in not building this area would be less but at the same time it feels unfair that we should loose out due to their mistake.

Check the measurements.  Is the external dimension correct?  Are the walls the correct thickness?  Did the architect draw the walls too thin?  Was the drawing size even possible?

Before going in all guns blazing, you need to find the cause of the error, which wall is wrong, is it a building error or drawn impossible to build?

Only when you know what is wrong can you start the discussion. you don't yet know who to get angry with.

Assuming they’ve quoted you for the larger length, then there must already be saving (to them) for a slightly smaller extension? Instead of agreeing to the smaller extension, establish the the additional costs to knock out the wall and form it on the line of where it should be. The existing foundations could probably be re-attached to. The overall costs may well up being more than already agreed and the duration of the project is likely to be extended too.

Thanks all. The builders have already admitted in writing they made the mistake (misread the plans). I don't think knocking it down would suit either of us (there are a lot of steels in the roof which is vaulted that would all have to be refabricated and we don't want the disruption).

I think negotiating a discount is the way to go but based on floor area property values in our area it would be substantial - £15k of a £110k job. 

Does anyone know if a builders insurance would cover this? Would it be absorbed in their profit margin? The problem is I like the guys and do feel it was a genuine mistake and would like them to finish the job but not sure on how much of a compromise we should make given that we will be out of pocket on resale and it has adversely affected how we will use the space.

Have you asked the builder what they think might be a reasonable compromise?

It's a difficult situation tbh but you're the one that has to live with the error - open discussions and see how they approach it, explain the issues with the furniture/future sales etc rather than just saying they've got it wrong!

We all make mistakes from time to time. It is difficult when you have a good relationship with your builder. Much worse though if you don't.

Try your best to keep things friendly and the lines of communication open. Once the relationship starts to break down the cost and stress can rapidly mount. If you are not finished the work then the "extras may start to pile up" and the whole thing can start to turn into a total mess. If this happens unfortunately there are often no winners.

Check it is indeed the builder's mistake, although they think it is at the moment. You mention it is a large extension. Suppose for example one of the walls is next to the boundary. It may be that the ground worker on the day applied some common sense and put the founds up to the boundary so that your structure was not on someone else's land. The ground worker may have saved everyone's skin!

If you start some financial negotiation then try and put your self in the builder's shoes. Hopefully they too will take the same approach. This often helps both sides reach an equitable solution. If they claim on their insurance then their premiums go up for the foreseable future. If they have to just write you a cheque this is a total loss for them. It may be that you can negotiate whereby they do some extra work / provide materials at cost or less. You get a bit more and the builder takes less of a hit.

Hope it all works out ok.

Edited by Gus Potter