Agricultural barn and site insurance

kantryla

Hi there, I'm just finalising the purchase of a plot of land with a 1980's timber framed agricultural barn on it.  it has Class Q permitted development rights on it.  The barn is still in current use and is in good repair.  I suspect it will be 6 to 12 months before we can start the conversion, so I think we need site insurance (public liability) as a minimum.  I think I read somewhere that Class Q is with the existing structure therefore if anything happens to that structure the permission lapses (eg fire, collapse etc) even before build starts.  So I think that means we need to insure the existing barn for complete rebuild back to its current state.  If thats the case would we be better getting agricultural type insurance - like small holding or will standard self build products be enough?

Thanks in advance

Standard self build insurance will cover it - as would an empty building policy. Agricultural Insurance is unlikely to as you are not carrying on with using for farming etc. 

Try GSI or NFU. 

If you had to rebuild it I think the part q would no longer be valid - as structural works would have been carried out. I think you would need to insure to cover your financial losses if this happened.