Sink Relocation - plumbing and associated works

MyQS

Afternoon all... very vague open ended question, but what plumbing works should i expect if I were to relocate my kitchen to the next room and in doing so moving my kitchen sink, dishwasher, washing machine etc.

Welcome MyQS!

As you can imagine, vague questions can often lead to vague answers but we've got to start somewhere!

You really just have two aspects to consider - supply and waste. Moving supplies is generally easier as the pipes are smaller and you don't usually have to worry about gravity - it is often just a case of extending the existing supply pipework to the next room or tapping in somewhere else. For the waste, water only flows downhill and so the greater the horizontal displacement you require results in a greater consideration of vertical displacement to factor in. In both cases consideration will have to be given about the existing pipework i.e. whether any of it can remain in the existing room.

Can you draw/scribble a diagram, or describe in words, the two rooms and locations of the current and desired pipework and drains? Doing so will enable more specific discussion and advice.

Thanks for you quick response! The property isn't bought yet, so trying to establish a likely scenario of what the works would entail. The diagram below shows the existing kitchen sink within the kitchen and the proposed I have dropped in to room adjacent. The waste currently shows coming directly out from under the window of where the sink is currently positioned.

The wall between the kitchen and the lounge will remain; could the supply run through the ceiling void. between the joists and drop into position. or ran around the walls and cored through the separating wall? And the waste, could that just be cored through the external wall and then tapped into an existing drain? Appreciate your help on this!

image.png.42317861f5a33011a8c68ba01ec33a95.pngimage.png.004d5d51d097d69c595b2d3ca1bdf7c7.png

Whats access like down that side of the house? For the waste you could just run a pipe out through the living room wall and around the outside to the existing gully. I'd make the last part a bit lower so visually it blends into the plinth paint/render. 

It would need insulating (and possibly a pipe  heater) to prevent it freezing in winter? I might be tempted to make it slightly larger in diameter as well.

An alternative might be to trench along the same route for 110mm pipe and put a new gully near the new sink location.

1514975310_Newroute1.png.1c0da7ad190985ee589a0f167d618e76.png55327617_Newroute.png.1538b3ac6bed5c5b67222e308f537877.png

Edited by Temp

It is a corner plot so access down the side isn't an issue, so either of the ideas you have pointed out will work, probably try to disguise the pipe within the plinth paint/render.

The below plan is directly above the kitchen and the boiler sits within the kitchen to the left of the sink (as you look on plan). This would probably be best moving also into the new kitchen area I think. The toilet above would suggest I can tap supplies down?

image.png.3e7022f3e8b22fb446327f6d8eb2f7de.png

Just remember to discharge the waste into the same foul water gully and not to another that services rainwater, as unless it's a combined sewer system you need to run black ( foul ) and grey ( waste water ) into the foul sewer network only. You don,t want food waste going into a rainwater soak-away.

Dropping down with the hot and cold is fine, but a more convoluted run. I would minimise the amount of 15mm hot water pipework between boiler and sink so you don't wait too long to get hot water at the sink.  

On 16/07/2020 at 13:51, MyQS said:

Afternoon all... very vague open ended question, but what plumbing works should i expect if I were to relocate my kitchen to the next room and in doing so moving my kitchen sink, dishwasher, washing machine etc.

I did this last weekend!

I am a competent DIY plumber, copper and solder for me (although I did have to bite the bullet and go plastic for a bit through floor joists in the old kitchen ceiling) not including the plumbing of the new extension which was done at first fix and finished as the kitchen was installed it took me about a day and couple of hours to relocate the stop-cock - by extending the incoming water pipe to the new kitchen, removing all plumbing from the old kitchen, which also meant totally re-plumbing the bathroom above for my super perfectionist requirements (basically I didn't want stop ends anywhere, I only wanted plumbing to exist that would function).

It cost not a lot, but then I have heaps of copper solder fittings and things so just needed some copper pipe and some plastic and 4 JG Speedfit unions.

If you can cope with plastic for everything then I reckon I could have done it all in a half day horsing it in.

I had the new kitchen totally plumbed and pressure tested back in December, but didn't go live until about early June, so all I had to do really was get the tails of the new kitchen onto the rest of the house system. 

I am also lucky my house has a suspended timber floor, so access underneath for plumbing is no bother.

Waste was easy for me as my extension had a new waste built into it - old one just needs taking down down from the outside and it will become a patio drain.

This way you can work away at your leisure and get it all installed as you go then only bring it "online" when you are ready. 

Edited by Carrerahill

23 hours ago, MyQS said:

. The toilet above would suggest I can tap supplies down?

Possibly but the kitchen cold tap should really be from the main not a cold water tank.

5 minutes ago, Temp said:

Possibly but the kitchen cold tap should really be from the main not a cold water tank.

If it's old school plumbing then the basin and WC will typically be on the mains, and the bath 'tank-fed'. Do we know if it's gravity hot water / tanks in the attic here?

@MyQS ?

Edited by Nickfromwales