UFH quote

redtop

we have a suspended timber ground floor with 200mm insulation between joists and another 50mm below them  (the whole ground floor is lifted off ground on steel posts). 18mm plywood is structural floor and I have 50mm to play with to final floor level.  Tiles will be 15mm.  So had quote from wunda at 3.5K for pipe, manifold, pump,  associated bits and bobs and their 400 grade (high compressive strength) grooved insulation panels.  I wouldn't tile directly onto these and want to fit tile nacker board (and then decoupling mat).

I need to do something else, its too expensive.  I cant get pumped screed, access really bad.

One idea is to use cheaper grooved insulation with timber battons onto which I would fix tile backer board. or I could clip pipe direct to plywood, batton and use biscuit mix but lots of work as would have to buy bags of sand / cement and barrow it in (cant get a dumpy bag on site). Also of course theirs the extra weight and the biscuit mix would only be 25mm thick, cant go anymore or would exceed 50mm to final floor finish.

Any bright ideas guys?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, redtop said:

We have a suspended timber ground floor with 200mm insulation between joists and another 50mm below them  (the whole ground floor is lifted off ground on steel posts). 18mm plywood is structural floor and I have 50mm to play with to final floor level.  Tiles will be 15mm.  So had quote from wunda at 3.5K for pipe, manifold, pump,  associated bits and bobs and their 400 grade (high compressive strength) grooved insulation panels.  I wouldn't tile directly onto these and want to fit tile backer board (and then decoupling mat).

Why use anything over the board? No need for a backer board as far as the website states. And what is the suggested make up? If you have 50mm to play with then;

• 20mm overlay = 20mm total depth
  • 15mm tile = 35mm total depth
  • 3mm of tile adhesive under the backer board = 38mm total depth
  • 6mm backer board = 44mm total depth
  • adhesive under 15mm thick tiles? or included in the 15mm?

What numbers do you have for this?

Is the 50mm non-negotiable? If you had a little more then you could go for aluminium spreader plates over 18mm battens with a 18mm P5 board and decoupling mat atop that + tiles ( but would likely come out closer to 60mm ).

1 hour ago, Nickfromwales said:

Why use anything over the board? No need for a backer board as far as the website states. And what is the suggested make up? If you have 50mm to play with then;

• 20mm overlay = 20mm total depth
  • 15mm tile = 35mm total depth
  • 3mm of tile adhesive under the backer board = 38mm total depth
  • 6mm backer board = 44mm total depth
  • adhesive under 15mm thick tiles? or included in the 15mm?

What numbers do you have for this?

Is the 50mm non-negotiable? If you had a little more then you could go for aluminium spreader plates over 18mm battens with a 18mm P5 board and decoupling mat atop that + tiles ( but would likely come out closer to 60mm ).

backer board only because tilers have reported cracking if laid direct onto insulation boards, even though they say you can. I suppose I could use a decoupling mat. No rpice for backer board yet, but I guess it wouldn't be cheap. 

Maybe I could go to 60mm, will know more next week when windows and doors get fitted. I was against spreader plates as people say they squek, also by using the insulation solution I get a bit more  insulation; maybe not much but every bit helps I guess. But depending on the spreader plate cost it could be a fair bit cheaper, P5 board isn't expensive

• 11 months later...
On 16/07/2020 at 00:00, redtop said:

we have a suspended timber ground floor with 200mm insulation between joists and another 50mm below them  (the whole ground floor is lifted off ground on steel posts). 18mm plywood is structural floor and I have 50mm to play with to final floor level.  Tiles will be 15mm.  So had quote from wunda at 3.5K for pipe, manifold, pump,  associated bits and bobs and their 400 grade (high compressive strength) grooved insulation panels.  I wouldn't tile directly onto these and want to fit tile nacker board (and then decoupling mat).

I need to do something else, its too expensive.  I cant get pumped screed, access really bad.

One idea is to use cheaper grooved insulation with timber battons onto which I would fix tile backer board. or I could clip pipe direct to plywood, batton and use biscuit mix but lots of work as would have to buy bags of sand / cement and barrow it in (cant get a dumpy bag on site). Also of course theirs the extra weight and the biscuit mix would only be 25mm thick, cant go anymore or would exceed 50mm to final floor finish.

Any bright ideas guys?

odd question but any details of your floor build up? I’m looking at maybe a suspended timber ground floor on piles :) the