Have a quote for laying a new 25mm water pipe in my access road. Is the price sensible?

Quote is £4,000 (zero rated for VAT). 

Length of road is 35 metres, so £114-a-metre.

The road surface is thick concrete, no steel.

Includes the pipe, all back fill and making good. And 1x grab lorry for muck-away.

Quote allows for one circular-saw blade for cutting the concrete. Extra blades will be at cost.

The road is private, if that is relevant, so no permit costs, etc.

What do you think?

I was quoted 60-120 per metre for digging up a B road and laying a 35mm mdpe from the main. 120 was excessive but as a budget price it included permit from LA and traffic lights, relaying tar road etc. I needed to go 400m....so I'm now getting a borehole at 12-20k....?

So for me...114 seems excessive..but its all relative...I'd bite your hand off for a 4k  connection.  

Its a short length and tbh in my opinion youll not save much going elsewhere unless doing it by yourself, so if you are confident just go for it. 

I've basically said....it seems too much but go for it in the same post....?

• Thanks 1

If they have the correct gear (water cooling, 330+mm laser welded diamond blade, etc) they should be able to do the cuts with 1 blade, but these can be expensive, so  perhaps ask for a cap on the number of blades?  It's going to be very noisy so good to warn the neighbours

6 minutes ago, Conor said:

A little on the high side compared to what we'd pay the mains laying contractors on a typical frame work, but not too bad for a one off job.

Thanks @Conor. Good to know. I didn't say but its not a one-off job: I would be offering this contractor all the groundworks.

Thanks everyone. OK, time to "negotiate" I think.

43 minutes ago, Conor said:

Btw, do you own the road or somebody else?

@Conor, good question: nobody. Its one of those really old roads that nobody owns but everyone has been using for access since time immemorial. It is shared by one other dwelling and about eight boathouses as their sole access. I had to do all legal the searches, etc., with the planning permission.

On 15/07/2020 at 22:35, Dreadnaught said:

Have a quote for laying a new 25mm water pipe in my access road. Is the price sensible?

Quote is £4,000 (zero rated for VAT). 

Length of road is 35 metres, so £114-a-metre.

The road surface is thick concrete, no steel.

Includes the pipe, all back fill and making good. And 1x grab lorry for muck-away.

Quote allows for one circular-saw blade for cutting the concrete. Extra blades will be at cost.

The road is private, if that is relevant, so no permit costs, etc.

What do you think?

I was told to estimate £100 a meter for most services across a field but that was 12 years ago so it sounds reasonable to me.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/07/2020 at 10:55, Dreadnaught said:

I will email him now and report back.

Reporting back. I have moling quote now: £4500 to £5000, whereas the trenching quote was £4000. The moling expert was also slighty concerned that the location was adjacent to a river. He said there was "reasonable possibility that the ground would be unsuitable for moling".

So back to traditional trenching, I have a few more digger drivers to speak to before making a final choice.