Leaking balcony flat roof

Simba_ali

I missed a very small amount of sealer around my lounge window (west facing to the Atlantic weather) and you would not believe the wet patch it caused on my new plastering, even as a retired builder I would not have imagined so much water could penetrate such a small crack. ?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey

Just thought I'd share updates on this Incase it helps people in the future. 

I haven't managed to replace all the mortar due to a hectic work schedule but I did manage to put a thin bead of sealant over the existing gap as a temporary/emergency measure. I poured water all over it just as a quick test and i couldn't get it to leak so looks like it's definitely in this area.

Next step is to do it properly!  I'm not looking forward to it I must admit...

Regards 

IMG_20200728_085436_7.jpg

• Like 2

So I've hit Abit of a roadblock...

Long story short the property is shared ownership and only a professional can do the work of resealing with sealant for insurance purposes....

The problem is I can't get anyone to do it for atleast 3 months. Can anyone suggest any quick bodge other that what I have already done? I was thinking literally covering the entire bead of mortar with silicone just to provide some water resistance . Then rip it all out when someone can do the work. 

Surely even patched sealant is better than nothing? 

Many thanks 

A strip of flashband, applied with a bit of heat for good measure (paint stripper hot air gun)?  Won't be pretty, and won't come off again without a fight, but should stop any water ingress.  Your silicon idea is probably as good as anything, and should be relatively easy to take out when it comes to the professional fix.

So if this is shared ownership, then pass the problem on to the other party ..?? Their asset is being damaged, it is in their interest to get it repaired. 

TBH  I would be getting some decent grey CT1, and raking out the mortar myself and then applying the sealant to the gap. I can’t see how the insurance thing plays in here as it’s in their interest to get it repaired. 

"them" is the Housing association. Basically they just say I'm responsible for full repairs /maintenance but I must get permission to undertake any alterations from them. In this case work must be carried out by a professional as it's classed as structural

So from my understanding I must find a roofer to replace the mortar and have proof it's been undertaken by a qualified roofer.  If this ends up being more that the excess for the new build warranty im able to claim back the amount over the excess. 

Like I said previously I'm finding it difficult to get this work done quickly so have placed sealant over the existing mortar as a temporary/desperate short term fix. Whether this works I dunno but my water tests since show no signs of the water coming through. 

So i have done a little test on a section and my idea was to apply sealant to the entire bead of mortar and onto the brick for a couple of months and when the work is ready to be done just peel off the sealant. I've attached a photo.

Dont judge the terrible sealing...i've literally done it on a 10 cm section just to see if it holds ? The other option was to get a tube of stormdry cement sealer and apply to cover the gap. 

Will the sealant idea likely cause any issues? 

Many thanks 

received_615318832693620.jpeg

Edited by Simba_ali

• 4 months later...

Hey,

So an update after the first storm here since the last leak. 

After 7 constant hours of 50mph winds and rain there is no new water staining on the ceiling so I thought that it was all good until I used an inspection camera  to look in the roof space and noticed a small about of water (probably 10 drips worth)

The sealant seems to have drastically reduced the leak but not eliminated it totally. Summer is going to be very busy with alterations! 

• Like 2