Window Height Help Please

Internorm came today for a technical survey and we can't seem to agree on something (though unusually I don't have an opinion on this I just want to get the things ordered)!

It concerns these two windows - the extension isn't up yet so added on to the left window is the kitchen extension. Looking at the bungalow the window on the left will form part of the kitchen and will have our kitchen sink/worktop so the bottom will be raised (I'm not on site at the moment but you're talking 10-15cm) to account for the base units/worktop. This is not an opening window, nor split rather just one pane measuring 1800mm *1050.

To the right of this is the living room window this is a separate living room and not accessible from the kitchen/dining (plan attached) nor is it our only window in the living room (the other one is round the corner as you look at the bungalow on the righ. to raise the same as the kitchen one (10-15cm). The size of this 2400*1050 single pane and also fixed. Apparently having a higher than normal window in this room is not normal, though I can't see an issue with it though one of us described it as a letterbox! Is raising the height really that much of an issue. Frankly I don't care.....

The other lounge window is 1490*1050 too but there are no other windows on this wall (see other pic - the window will be slightly smaller than the one in now). 

Plan attached for info.

IMG-20200714-WA0012.jpg

IMG-20200714-WA0017.jpg

Screenshot_2020-07-14-17-33-44-686_cn.wps.xiaomi.abroad.lite.jpg

Use the right window for the right place! 

I tend to not even use the 150 upstand around worktops anymore in kitchens and just run the worktops into the window reveals instead of cells...

But anyway, the external elevation should give you a hint of what's happening inside, so people would know where the kitchen is on your house by the nature of the windows... have windows as big as are useful, certainly in the sitting room I'd go fairly low to make sure I can see out of them when sitting 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Temp said:

Windows are normaly lower so you can see out when sitting down. If it was me I'd put a wide patio door in there to max the view over lake.

It's not a lake it's the Llangollen canal and it runs adjacent to our property and we have over 90 metres of canal frontage, the towpath being the other side. We have 5.5 metre sliders planed from our large kitchen diner with views of the canal and will have some seating area there. We are lucky in that we have the views not only in the living room but pretty much every window of the house so it's not like we are limited with the view only being from our living room and I'm all honestly I think we will spend much more time in the kitchen/dining area as it will have a bit of room for a small sofa too so will be more of a social space. I can only see the living room being used in winter when we want to snuggle in front of the log burner! Here's a better pic from earlier on in the build and looking towards those large sliders we have planned.

On reflection I don't think it matters making the living room window a bit higher to keep it in line with the kitchen. 

IMG_20200624_170956.jpg

Edited by canalsiderenovation

23 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Wow, I have travelled the Llangollen canal, lovely location ?

+1 - only ever walked along it, but a beautiful spot. World's End near the start of it is one of my favourite places in Wales.

9 minutes ago, Reiver said:

World's End near the start of it is one of my favourite places in Wales.

and me, lovely place to rock climb (if your into that sort of thing). Not been there fir a while.? Long way for me now I have moved to North Devon.

Edited by joe90

8 hours ago, Reiver said:

+1 - only ever walked along it, but a beautiful spot. World's End near the start of it is one of my favourite places in Wales.

3 hours ago, Temp said:

I guess I should have got that from your user name. It been a long week.

Haha yes ? it's a lovely canal - I'm bias though. We are in Shropshire close to Whitchurch and the staircase locks which anyone who has travelled on the Llangollen, especially in a boat will no doubt have memories of, they seem to cause chaos for a lot of tourists.  Hopefully when the house is finished and funds allow we will get a narrowboat at some point, when we bought it the house didn't have mooring we applied and got it granted so that's definitely a future plan....

• Like 1

When I was looking for a builder I went to see a house being built near a canal in the east of England. It was a difficult plot but the but the architect had got PP for a modern contemporary "upside down" flat roof house. The living room upstairs had a large feature window with a stunning view down a long straight section of the canal. 

However the owner however had clearly wanted something more thatched cottage like and was fitting out the interior accordingly. The mixture of modern minimalist house and glazing with country cottage floral decor has never clashed more horribly. 

15 minutes ago, Temp said:

When I was looking for a builder I went to see a house being built near a canal in the east of England. It was a difficult plot but the but the architect had got PP for a modern contemporary "upside down" flat roof house. The living room upstairs had a large feature window with a stunning view down a long straight section of the canal. 

However the owner however had clearly wanted something more thatched cottage like and was fitting out the interior accordingly. The mixture of modern minimalist house and glazing with country cottage floral decor has never clashed more horribly. 

Crikey, sounds a disaster! Ours is a 1970s weird bungalow which looks like two, separated by a flat roof (I suspect because when they got PP in the 70s permission for two bungalows it was turned down so they built one which looked like two and hoped to change it to two at some point but they never happened). The council wouldn't support a demolition so we had to work with what we had, the council kept saying 'in keeping with the surrounding area' but the reality is the two properties opposite us are very different and not 70s so we aren't in keeping with anything anyway so we will be a modern, rendered bungalow with a large proportion flat roof. We did initially get plans for an upstairs but ditched them due to a number of reasons.

On 14/07/2020 at 20:21, the_r_sole said:

I tend to not even use the 150 upstand around worktops anymore in kitchens and just run the worktops into the window reveals instead of cells...

Do you use the same approach behind the sink ? 

23 hours ago, Simplysimon said:

absolutely, may need to use breakfast bar to get enough width

Took me a while to get the picture ?

One concern I have is water splashing on the window and to be honest even running towards the window. I've actually been trying to find a sink that is wide (i.e. front to back) enough to be mounted flash with the upstand: sick of dealing with puddles of water between the sink and the wall. 

14 hours ago, oldkettle said:

Took me a while to get the picture ?

One concern I have is water splashing on the window and to be honest even running towards the window. I've actually been trying to find a sink that is wide (i.e. front to back) enough to be mounted flash with the upstand: sick of dealing with puddles of water between the sink and the wall. 

get a deeper sink! the other option would be to have a slight fall towards the front of the units to prevent water running backwards.

10 hours ago, Simplysimon said:

get a deeper sink! the other option would be to have a slight fall towards the front of the units to prevent water running backwards.

:-) deeper sink certainly doesn't prevent it fully. Yes, sure, there are ways but say your nice idea of just using a breakfast bar won't help if a fall is required.

The other reason I will probably have an upstand is I want to have a wall-mounted tap which I find far superior to the sink mounted ones in terms of ease of cleaning.