4m long worktops?

Crofter

It's an open plan living room and kitchen, measuring about 4.7x4m, so the kitchen is pretty dominant in that. Don't think the industrial look would work tbh.

If I treat them like cattle, I won't get the customers I am hoping for. I'm willing to take the chance and make the place pleasant, in the hope that the overwhelming majority of people who stay there will enjoy it, respect it, and come back in the future. Yes I might be naive but, at the end of the day, I will have their credit card numbers :D

On 24 December 2016 at 16:50, Crofter said:

It's an open plan living room and kitchen, measuring about 4.7x4m, so the kitchen is pretty dominant in that. Don't think the industrial look would work tbh.

If I treat them like cattle, I won't get the customers I am hoping for. I'm willing to take the chance and make the place pleasant, in the hope that the overwhelming majority of people who stay there will enjoy it, respect it, and come back in the future. Yes I might be naive but, at the end of the day, I will have their credit card numbers :D

Every place ( 2 bed to 10 bed ) I / we ( family ) have ever rented have been treated as my own, or better. I think @Crofter's ethos is exactly spot on, and he should stick to his plan. If you aim for cattle that's what you'll get, BUT, if you go for a med / top price you'll get exclusivity and a much better tenant ( or 'customer' in your case ;) ). 

I'd go for the solid wood top and just refinish it accordingly, with @PeterW's concoction to keep the red wine at bay. Get the idea of changing the work tops every 4-5 years out of your head and just fit a good quality oak / hardwood top that will develop patina and age with grace. 

Whats the cooker going to be? LPG or electric?

Can't see why the carriage charges should be higher than anywhere else, there's a bridge FFS!

Makes interesting reading at 2 o'clock in the morning, the controversy surrounding the Skye bridge.

Does it still feel like an island?

Ooh that's a controversial one.

To be honest, though, I only moved to Skye quite recently, several years after the tolls stopped. Before that I lived on Lewis, which very much feels like an island; Skye just feels like any other bit of the Highlands, far less self contained, far more reliant on Inverness. Our annual mileage has quadrupled since the move and in many respects we are much more isolated. E.g. when the baby arrived, we were nearly three hours from the hospital, whereas on Lewis we had one ten minutes away.

As for delivery (not talking babies here) basically everywhere north of the Great Glen seems to be treated the same, i.e. we pay through the nose. On the one hand it's understandable that if things have further to travel, they should cost slightly more. But it's the companies who refuse to use Royal Mail (flat rate UK wide) which really bug me. Or the ones who are free delivery everywhere else and then want a minimum of £20 to get to Inverness or beyond (like the laptop I just bought, that's 10% of the cost ffs).

Anyway, rant over, merry Christmas, bah humbug :D

Ok so I can get a 4.1m Axiom or Egger worktop in Inverness... I had heard that Duropal were the ones to go for, though. How much of a difference does it make? I can source a Duropal and get it up here via courier but it will probably cost a bit more and obviously is more hassle.

Second, related question: Wickes have given me a 'sale' price, is it worth trying to squeeze a bit more on this? Will need to decide soon though as they guaranteed that price up till the new year.

• 4 months later...

There's a company in England which imports extra long worktops from a German company called Getalit. I ordered a 4.5m one. Cost around £500 including shipping etc.  Took three weeks and arrived today. I believe they go significantly longer than that.

IMG_20170512_204036.thumb.jpg.b82b9b174449cf13f15be945a8d71231.jpg

So its not the cheapest, but its good to see a long run without joins.

IMG_20170512_204050.thumb.jpg.592382a5d782243066ef5f77802d5295.jpg

• Like 1