Solar panels too big for GSE integration

dnb

I spend ages looking for a good deal on solar panels, and find something a little under budget that requires fewer panels to get to my desired output. All looking good.

Until I look up the maximum panel height that a GSE integration in-roof case thingy will take. It is 300mm too short! Is there an alternative anyone knows about that will take a 2018mm high panel? I've failed tonight with the internet... I don't really want the look of on roof panels or to have to put slates under them.

Thanks

Those Canadian Solar panels are much bigger than a normal panel - usually used in industrial installations. They still come in about 25p/W for the panels but need less framing hence the saving on fixings. 

You could try GB Sol and ask if they would consider their RIS system being reconfigured for the size of panels you have, but it won’t be cheap as it’s custom made to fit. The whole lot is riveted together and you would also need to get the EDPM sealing strips from them. 

Can you not cancel your order ..?  Distance selling and 14 days cancellation ..??

3 hours ago, PeterW said:

Can you not cancel your order ..?

No need. Haven't actually ordered them yet. Getting things to the Isle of Wight is always "interesting" with shipping so you can't just place an online order for many large items so I am at the point of waiting for shipping prices (or being told that it is all too difficult getting things to an island ?). I haven't found that much else in the 25p/W with a "standard" size panel, but since cost is certainly a factor here (PV has to have a hope of paying for itself) GB Sol is unfortunately not a good answer - I may be better served by spending more on smaller panels.

I liked the Canadian Solar size because it fitted the roof well - gave a reasonable amount of space at the top & bottom, and only needed 16 panels to achieve a sensible output. "standard" size panels seem to waste a lot of space on the roof due to quantization - conclusion is that my roof must be the wrong size!!

30 minutes ago, dnb said:

haven't found that much else in the 25p/W with a "standard" size panel, but since cost is certainly a factor here

24.6p/W 

https://www.itstechnologies.shop/collections/ja-solar/products/16-x-ja-solar-280w-poly-trade-prices-online-shop

ITS have quite a few different ones. 

Check with Wagner Renewables as they may well match the price if you buy the in roof system from them too. 

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

ITS have quite a few different ones. 

They do indeed. This was where I was looking for the 400w panels. It's good to get a couple of recomendations for sources of stuff. :)

The problem with the 280W panels is that I would need 22 of them to get to my target of between 6kW and 6.5kW (They appear noticably less efficient for the same area than the JA 320W or the 325W panels, even though they are slightly cheaper). This puts 4 panels in a more shaded area of the roof than I would like and thus compromises yearly output. I liked the look of 17 of the 365W Canadian Solar panel, (very similar price per W range) but they are still 15mm too long for GSE integration. :(

I am going to have to do a very accurate drawing of my roof space now that I actually have one to measure!

16 minutes ago, PeterW said:

micro inverters..??

It is an option. Would have to ammend the generation application to SSEN.

17 minutes ago, dpmiller said:

by the the time you take off flashing kits and valleys it can be a fair bit smaller than anticipated.

That's a very good point. It is why 3 portrait 1657mm panels don't fit and two 2108 panels do fit. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/07/2020 at 22:45, dnb said:

It is an option. Would have to ammend the generation application to SSEN.

That's a very good point. It is why 3 portrait 1657mm panels don't fit and two 2108 panels do fit. 

Trina 325W All Black Mono (1698*1004 for GSE) from Midsummer appears to be £72/panel from Midsummer Wholesale at trade price (assuming the values quoted by easy-PV are correct - it looks like a trade-oriented tool, but they might just be out of date), £100 at retail. Even at retail it isn't too bad at 32p/Watt, it's 22p/Watt if you get them for £72.

image.png.fc1ab95b0373f00a9344106bab97f611.png

Edit: while I think about it, easy_PV has a tool to let you model up flashings, spacings, etc, on the roof with GSE mounts.

Edited by pdf27

On 04/08/2020 at 07:52, pdf27 said:

while I think about it, easy_PV has a tool to let you model up flashings, spacings, etc, on the roof with GSE mounts.

Good call. The GSE website has some useful links too, but annoyingly doesn't produce a parts list.

Re the panels, I've found some 325w JA panels that just about meet requirements for the 24p per watt price range, so similar to the original Canadian Solar. I can easily get 16 of these in the roof, and it looks like there's a chance of getting 20 if I'm lucky - the flashings are smaller than I estimated.

And in other news, SSEN have approved my application for a 6kW single phase export!

Just take a ride round the island and see the ones you want? From my recollection it's like Solar City out there and even the dog kennels have PV!

?

(Not visiting this year I don't think ? )

1 hour ago, Onoff said:

Not visiting this year I don't think

That's a shame. Was looking forward to that pint in the Horse & Groom. Plenty of next year to go at...

1 hour ago, Onoff said:

From my recollection it's like Solar City out there

This is true. I was very surprised I got my 6kW export. Was expecting a flat no because all my neighbours have similar size systems. There are no end of solar farms now too.

34 minutes ago, dnb said:

That's a shame. Was looking forward to that pint in the Horse & Groom. Plenty of next year to go at...

This is true. I was very surprised I got my 6kW export. Was expecting a flat no because all my neighbours have similar size systems. There are no end of solar farms now too.

Mmmm, beer! ? Still mulling a last minute short break in the near future but thinking we'd be on edge with all the Covid restrictions and unable to really relax. 

I recall a huge PV farm up by the Garlic Farm. Was meant to be something to do with producing energy from waste but the site went over to solar if I recall. Pity you can't visit places like this. I'd love to have a look (I'd pay too). Mind I fancy a trip round Thanet Earth. How many people can say they had a tour round Dungeness nuclear plant on their honeymoon?

Every time we've been over we've been even more amazed at the increase in domestic PV installs. The density is unreal. Are there any island specific incentives to install?

1 hour ago, Onoff said:

Still mulling a last minute short break in the near future but thinking we'd be on edge with all the Covid restrictions and unable to really relax. 

Last week we rented a 1 bedroom cottage on a farm on the Welsh borders. It was straightforward, we took all our own food but other than that used everything in the cottage. No one had rented it the previous week so even the maps, cushions etc were there. We had a peaceful time visiting gardens etc with out any problems. Even stopping at the services for the loo was ok as long as you remember to wear a mask inside the buildings.

17 minutes ago, PeterStarck said:

Last week we rented a 1 bedroom cottage on a farm on the Welsh borders. It was straightforward, we took all our own food but other than that used everything in the cottage. No one had rented it the previous week so even the maps, cushions etc were there. We had a peaceful time visiting gardens etc with out any problems. Even stopping at the services for the loo was ok as long as you remember to wear a mask inside the buildings.

Problem for us is we don't want too much "self catering". Defeats the object for us. We both like to do pub meals every evening for a week or so. Quick breakfast and maybe take some filled rolls for lunch. The idea of a different pub every night suits us but now each will have it's own set of Covid rules. That and possibly having to book. 

1 minute ago, Onoff said:

Problem for us is we don't want too much "self catering". Defeats the object for us. We both like to do pub meals every evening for a week or so. Quick breakfast and maybe take some filled rolls for lunch. The idea of a different pub every night suits us but now each will have it's own set of Covid rules. That and possibly having to book. 

Yeah I can understand that. A self catering holiday was a change for us. We did go to a pub that was doing takeaway food and had some excellent cod and chips. If the weather's ok eating outside seemed popular.

2 hours ago, Onoff said:

Are there any island specific incentives to install?

Unfortunately not. It's just more sunny here than elsewhere. ? There do seem a lot of installations now you mention it. But it all seems normal to me having lived here for ages so I've stopped noticing. I am led to believe Planning have put in various conditions in the past that were easy to achieve by fitting a lot of solar, but this is unconfirmed rumour.

2 hours ago, Onoff said:

Was meant to be something to do with producing energy from waste but the site went over to solar if I recall.

I think you are correct. The waste plant is on Forest Road now.

1 hour ago, Onoff said:

Problem for us is we don't want too much "self catering".

I don't blame you! The IOW is fairly clear of C19 right now, but I can see this changing now it's holiday season. We usually end up having to be very careful because of coeliac concerns, so it's often easier to just accept self catering because food stress or illness on holiday is not why you're on holiday. We will be staying put this year so I can work on the house a little more than I planned. A change is as good as a rest as they say. (But I am sure whoever said that didn't spend the time up a roof ladder!)