angle of dangle of panels

scottishjohn

one for the guru,s of PV 

when i used my soalr thermal I noticed that although ideal angle was same as where you live --like mine is 55

but by making it steeper you got less in summer but more in winter

this was worth doing to help mitigate over heating of tank in summer and increasing it in spring  + autumn+especially winter

there was a man in denmark who hung his solar thermal panels vertically on the wall -for that reason 

is it as noticable difference with solar PV

It maybe the nature of PV panels which are  flat and not round like the tube s on thermal panels that is is not as critical

I ask this because my current thinking is to run solar powered water pumping

and in winter of course the suns angle is much less and that is when my lowest flow rate for pump will be --summer its 4 times as much so loosing a bit there is no problem 

Yes I could fit more panels but that increases everything and thats not needed  for most most of the year 

or point me at a site where I can get the correct info 

Edited by scottishjohn

Google Pvgis. Stick in your location and you can play with the angles and aspect and it will tell you what you are likely to get on average. I didn't see the point in trying to improve our winter generation as the improvement was minimal.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jamieled said:

Google Pvgis. Stick in your location and you can play with the angles and aspect and it will tell you what you are likely to get on average. I didn't see the point in trying to improve our winter generation as the improvement was minimal.

how much do you consdier miimal in percentage terms 

If you are attempting to use PV to run a stand alone system ALL year then you will be sizing it for Dec/Jan insolation (In the UK at least). You will obviously capture more energy if the panel angle is optimised for those months. About 75 degrees or so. 

PVGIS is the way so model these things.

Edited by Miek
Detail
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, scottishjohn said:

how much do you consdier miimal in percentage terms 

Less than 10%. We are limited by dno export capacity to 3.64kw. The small increase pvgis showed in winter by altering the panel angle still amounted to bugger all in an absolute sense.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jamieled said:

Less than 10%. We are limited by dno export capacity to 3.64kw. The small increase pvgis showed in winter by altering the panel angle still amounted to bugger all in an absolute sense.

yes I understand altering the angle will drop summer and increase  winter --which for FIT is not good --but maybe worth it to me for winter water as daylight hours are short

will do the numbers and see

the advantages of a ground mounted array --you can alter it as seasons change

23 hours ago, scottishjohn said:

the advantages of a ground mounted array --you can alter it as seasons change

that was exactly my plan.(till I ran out of funds ?)

Edited by joe90